Laptops forum

Question

HP laptop problems

by NEST_SOLDIER / October 27, 2012 3:19 PM PDT

I have an HP Compaq nc6220, and it's experiencing some serious issues:

First, If it does boot up, it often freezes in the middle of whatever I'm running ( media player, reading a file, ext.)and the only way to shut it down is to unplug the adapter, and remove the battery.

Second, on some occasions after booting, it reads found new hardware, and lists the HD, the disc drive, ext.

Third, it has frozen during booting up.

Last, it often displays a black screen during booting, and the only way to turn it off is to press the power button.

If anyone could assist with troubleshooting these issues, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP laptop problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP laptop problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) How old? Did reloading the OS help?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2012 3:28 PM PDT
In reply to: HP laptop problems
Collapse -
RESPONSE
by NEST_SOLDIER / October 27, 2012 6:44 PM PDT

I have been unable to reload the OS as of yet, but plan to try this today. The machine hasnt remained operable long enough to back up my data without freezing. As for the computer's age, I would estimate that it may be 6 years old, if not older.

It came loaded with XP, and 1.0 GB of memory, on a Celeron processor.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Also.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2012 3:38 PM PDT

Rather than pull the battery I find that holding the power button long enough works. Pulling the battery is not a good idea. Extreme and I worry it could damage things.

Again, no story about age, canned air, heat sink cleaning, or heat sing compound. If this is years old, I find many owners unaware of basic maintenance.
Bob

Collapse -
by NEST_SOLDIER / October 27, 2012 7:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Also.

I have used canned air to keep it clean on a weekly basis, but am unaware of any damage this may have done. Could you elaborate on what issues this may have caused, and what remedies I might take?

Collapse -
I don't think it caused any issue. But my answer changes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2012 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

Now that I have a better idea of what the machine is, we would not reload the OS. We would proceed directly to replacing the heat sink compound and as we button it back up, clean as we go.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Look into...
by Willy / October 28, 2012 12:54 AM PDT

Considering all the actions you took to shut it down *MAY HAVE* produced a negative impact. If you're connected to internet, it may have gotten updates and it takes time and further your Celeron and 1gb ram based laptop is slow and being XP is just more so as time came. After 6 yrs. it's just showing its age plus any introduced problems. As Robert stated, cleaning the laptop is must. Besides blowing out the fan blowhole, you may want to dismantlement abit in order to directly see and remove dust bunnies. Worse, if this is the result of "heat stress" effects it maybe too late more of a repair is in order. If cooled by a CPU fan, be sure it operates, it can happen the fan is broken or burnt out. Also, if operating under heat stress, the HD could develop issues and actually slowly drift into a bad condition, called soft errors. See, if running the HD maker's support website has "diags" to run "non-destructive" tests to check it.

I suggest if it still still boots-up, allow it all the time it needs. It maybe trying to correct past shutdowns or still installing something. using the task manager see what if anything is going on. -OR- remove laptop HD install in ext. USB-HD case or adapter and transfer data from drive to desktop or other laptop, etc..

tada ------Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!