Laptops forum

General discussion

HP laptop is junk

by tjsinPA / February 28, 2007 8:48 PM PST

bought HP dv6000...in 6 weeks-hard drive had to be replaced. 2 hours later---video card shot. Have to send to company. Did I mention 6 weeks of use???? On disability--took ages to save-using to better my life. Living on $630 month---so, I blew a month and a half of income on a peice of junk. Now...what's that address for the Attorney Generals office???? shouldn't something like this last a tad longer??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP laptop is junk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP laptop is junk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wait
by StargateFan / February 28, 2007 9:14 PM PST
In reply to: HP laptop is junk

I apologize I'm a little confused. Did the video card go after 2 hours of recieving your computer, or two hours after the hard drive went, after 6 weeks of use?

Collapse -
hp laptop is junk
by tjsinPA / February 28, 2007 10:39 PM PST
In reply to: Wait

2 hours after new hard drive was installed.

Collapse -
RE
by StargateFan / February 28, 2007 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: hp laptop is junk

There may be a problem with the power wiring in your laptop. Specifically waht happened to both the video card and the hard drive?

Collapse -
I also have had problems with my HP 6110ca
by Jay845 / February 28, 2007 10:34 PM PST

After approximately 3 weeks of use the laptop would start up but it would stall just after the windows XP screen and all that would be displayed was a blank screen. I would try to reboot in safe mode and the laptop would not. I used my recovery disks and reloaded the operating system 2 times. The laptop would work for 2 days then the same thing would happen.

I then contacted HP support who advised me to ship my laptop to HP as they said it sounded like my OS was becoming corrupt or that there was a hardware failure. I just checked the status of this service and supposedly my unit is being sent back to me today.

Hopefully this works, as thus far I have been disappointed with this unit to date.

Collapse -
I have HP ze2309nr
by sandysone / March 1, 2007 12:16 AM PST

I went through 5 customer service reps before I finally talked to the first person I spoke with who correctly diagnosed my problem. I had to politely tell India I did not want to speak with them and transfer my call to the U.S. I wrote a letter and all HP wanted to do was offer me a discount on a new model. When I initally bought my laptop I had to excahnge it 5 times. When I booted I could hear the speakers it sounded like a camera shutter going off every 10 seconds. There was also this snap crakle and pop sound. HP too wanted me to send it in for repair. I said no thanks this is brand new out of the box. I'm taking it back. A friend told me I was in a bad batch. There had to have been quality control issues being ignored during the assembly of the computers sent to the Fry's I bought mine at. I am not a HP fan at all.

Collapse -
That same thing is happening to me now!
by stevecarlson1 / March 6, 2007 10:50 AM PST

I have a HP dv9030us that I bought in mid November. Last week the exact same thing happened (stopped at Windows XP and safe mode would not work). I brought it back to Ciruit City last week and they reinstalled windows and it worked for a week. Then it did it again yesterday.
I am sending it tomorrow to HP to have them fix it. The PROMISE me that it will be completely and utterly fixed when I get it back... with all my data lost of course.
I would love to find out if yours actually works when they send it back to you. It sounds like a systemic problem with HPs to me...

Collapse -
Just remember one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2007 11:07 PM PST

Those with working units don't post here.

Be sure to make a folder to keep your receipts, log calls, dates what was repaired and more so you keep your case for a total exchange intact. I know some that get upset and just scream but they won't get the issue resolved.

Keep those records and keep calling in the failures.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes I TOTALLY agree with ALL HP products!
by shahrokhan / March 2, 2007 4:47 AM PST

I have had an HP deskjet 640c printer, an HP desktop and now an HP laptop and I am NEVER going to buy anything from HP hopefully. They are BAD BAD BAD. Three products cant be wrong!

For my next laptop, I am looking towards the Sony Vaio.

Collapse -
My sony sorry story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2007 5:01 AM PST

We went with Sony for 20+ laptops years ago at the office. What a disaster. Almost every machine wouldn't boot in just one month. IT staffers reloading machines and after awhile we began shipping units back and forth to the service center.

After months of shipping all units back and forth we finally talked to a tech that gave up the clue what the problem was. He revealed the units were not made for 8 hours of use or a workday. So armed with this we cycled the units to desks where we knew the new owner would take a lunch break. That gave the unit time to cool off and we eeked our 3 years out of them.

This disaster has left a black scorch mark on my remarks for years about Sony.

Bob

Collapse -
HP is a big company
by linkit / March 2, 2007 6:05 AM PST

HP makes some great printers. All inkjets, no matter who manufactured them, are troublesome.

HP laboratory equipment never gave me any trouble. Their spectroscopy an chromatography machines are great.

The bottom line is that every machine, no matter what it does, has limitations that need to be respected. Also, product lines and customer service can change. In these respects, neither HP or Sony is the same company it was a few years ago. Sony customer service has improved some from its dismal lows and HP notebooks have gotten pretty good.

Collapse -
Prosumer Orientented
by Sjswimmer / March 12, 2007 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: HP is a big company

From my experience with HP products I have noticed that their prosumer products are more reliable than consumer products. My very own HP zv5240us has had breakdowns since 4 months after I got it(and Dealing with Customer service has taken at least four days of my life).My laptop will be three years old in August.The printer I bought from HP gave me problems from Day 1.I work in a lab and find that our Office HP printer is very reliable and so is the copier and scanner. I think HP should should put a little more quality control in their consumer products.

Collapse -
Same problem, demand new laptop
by MARBLEANN / March 4, 2007 8:12 AM PST

I had the same problem. After many calls to HP they decided to send me a new HD with installation discs. Well after getting off of the phone I decided to call back and ask the magic question. How come I can't get a new laptop this was only 3 weeks old. Well they said of course you can get a new one. I went to Circuit City where I originally got my laptop they exchanged it right away and I even got a newer model. A 9005.
I want to say I never had problems with HP. The last laptop I had was a workhorse and it even fell on a ceramic floor and nothing happened. My camera and printer are HP's, no problems. If you are going to have problems with your computer other then normal wear and tear and virus's it usually will show up within a month, demand a new computer.

I bought a Sony laptop and it was a piece of junk. Sony cannot even make a good Playstation without them breaking down, no way can they make computers. And thay are vastly overpriced.

One word about the techs. If you call before 5 PM EST you get techs from Canada in the evening you get India. I have found both techs to make the same abount of mistakes no matter if from Canada or India and both to be helpful. It was a Indian tech that told me to get a exchange. So there is a language problem sometimes but I find if you ask for the techs superviser as soon as you get on the phone you will most likely get your problem solved.

Collapse -
wow!
by BaptistKitty / March 7, 2007 12:35 AM PST

My dad and I both bought the zv6000 and I had mine for almost a year and a half and nothing ever went wrong and it even fell (from low heights) a few times. My dad had his the same amount of time and his cd/dvd-r broke but he got that replaced and someone wanted to buy them both off of us as used... sold them right away! lol I have a new HP dv6000z now that I've had for over a month now and haven't had any problems other than Vista getting annoying Grin I love hp and things always go well for us...

Collapse -
THANKS ILL
by rexlperrry / March 12, 2007 2:09 AM PDT

2ND THAT HP IS JUNK

Collapse -
Former employee of HP...
by mtndirtbikegal / March 18, 2007 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: THANKS ILL

I am impressed at the level of response to this thread. Before I worked for HP, I was a die-hard true believer in every aspect of HP products (be it HP Pavilion desktops or any product from their Printing & Imaging Division, even some of their laptops were dependable). I lived 3 states away from my non-computer savvy Mother and I firmly believed HP was the best solution at that time ? especially with their 3 year in-home support plans. The only issues I ever had with Mom's PC?s were s/w related that she caused - or another time about a year after her 3rd new PC, the HD went out. Decent odds considering what I've read here today on this forum. Mom has that PC mentality like I do - "I want it all and I want it now!" Then I went to work for HP for 10 years.

The hardest change I endured as an HP employee who lived on the PC nearly 14 hrs a day was the 400-500MHz desktops they made us use until late 2001-2002. Shameful. You'd think at least the employees would get some sort of a break on newer company equipment in order to provide better service to our folks and to the public at large... NOT! Ok, off the soap box and back to the point of this response...

During the 8th thru 10th years working for HP, our division was in the distinct position of having to communicate with ?those non-understandable folks? in Bangalore, India on a daily basis - long before the Customer Support was subjected to them. It was extremely difficult for most of us HP folk to understand them - AND YES LIKE YOU WE ALSO REQUESTED TO SPEAK WITH THEIR SUPERVISORS! However, it was more cost effective for then-CEO Carly Fiorina to outsource to India and buy her executives a couple jetliners than pay the rest of us what we were worth. Layoffs were appealing to execs then. After a time, the new outsourced India-based HP folk developed this crazy internal policy where ?the American HP folk? couldn't understand ?the Indian folk? names, so they started adopting American names like Carol or Bob or Joe ? which was ultimately an insult to many of us as we learned they were simply appeasing "the Americans." Unfortunately, that was not the case for the unlucky calling Customer Service for help with their disturbing frustrating product issues over the next several years. Even HP folk felt a sense of empathy if you will for ANYONE calling HP Customer Service.

During the last couple years I was there, many of our divisions were required to train many new India arrivals in how to do our jobs, from Systems to Networks to PC Support staff. Once we all trained their India teams, they replaced most of our jobs for a drastic reduction in pay ? to the benefit of HP. Now you wonder why you?re getting the level of Quality Assurance, Customer Service, and poorly made parts in some divisions. It's the lack of experience on HP's part to keep enough of the old-timers around to ensure better quality to the consumers. Lesson learned - if you talk to foreigners long enough it gets easier to understand them and they agreed that they felt the same way about us.

Do I still believe in HP as a whole ? NOT EVEN! Am I loyal to them ? maybe. Do I still believe in their Printing and Imaging Division ? YES I DO! They have excellent printers ? I?ve had every HP printer from their HP PSC 500 to my man?s HP PhotoSmart 2610 series printer and my HP PhotoSmart 3300 series printer that I wouldn?t trade for anything. I?ve NEVER had issues with them. Every desktop my Mom has ever had was chosen by me and all 3 (soon to be 4) were HP brand ? especially for their quality to withstand my Mom?s abuse and HP?s in-home support. Even the Care Plus Warranty guy that went to my Mom?s house two years ago to replace/upgrade her HD when it failed was so awesome that he sat with her for three hours after his job was done and answered all her questions and showed her how to change RAM and such. So, yes I?m impressed with HP?s extended warranty service without a doubt.

There are two failing factors in this whole story? I have two Compaq laptops with bad power that need repaired. My 2 laptops like so many of yours is also saying it?s charging, but it?s not. It won?t leave 0% charging status. I know what has to be done and it isn?t exactly cheap since I?ve already replaced the power cords to no avail. The power connectors are bad. So I can sympathize on both sides of the coin. You?re not alone in your convictions of HP. Thanks for letting me share my side of HP with all of you.

Collapse -
A lesson for all
by samkh / March 18, 2007 3:25 AM PDT

Dell certainly learned that customers dislike (maybe even stop or threaten to stop buying?) foreign support, so they took care of the most valuable segment, ie. small and large BUSINESSES, by moving business machines support back to NA.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/odg/banner_jump_latit?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

They can afford it because businesses are willing to pay for it. Would they do the same for Inspirons and Dimensions? Sure, but only if HP did so for Pavilions and Presarios.

The lesson? Economics 101 -- you only get what you pay for. Cheap consumer products are cheap because portions of the supply and service chain costs have been reduced thru use of foreign outsourcing. Now don't get me started on why Walmart can sell clothing and toys for less Happy

Collapse -
HP support
by MARBLEANN / April 6, 2007 6:54 AM PDT

I can understand how you feel. But as a customer of HP I find the North American english speaking support to be equally on par with the Asians. I can say this we cannot speak their language, but they can speak ours. Yes they have accents but let's don't go overboard, they can speak englsh. I wonder if this attitude would be taken if the support was outsourced to non english speaking countries like Poland or Russia etc. I can call the customer support in Canada or California and they can be just as inept as the Indians and visa versa. All I want is good support and I find it is not exclusivly North American support.
About them americanizing their names. I bet more then a few people in this forum have grandparents or great grandparents who came to this country and did the same for the same exact reason..

So yes I understand your fustration but but as far as support is concerned I find reading this subject it is easy to beat up on the Indians but believe me they are no worse or better then support from the US and Canada. And I have everything HP. Beat up HP they are the culprits for whatever wrong people feel about the company, not some person in India.
Oh and to us they are underpaid but not to them. So that has nothing to do with the quality of their service. Indians are very educated. Been to a hospital lately. I think it is insulting for us to think they are not as educated as we are. They can speak english, can we speak Hindi? I would bet the Indians that HP employs for their support are more highly educated then the NA support. I remember calling support one time for another big computer company and I was speaking to a hgh school student. There is no reason for me to believe HP is any different with their hiring of support. The chances are better that the support here is the ones that are being underpaid. Ten dollars a hour will pay for a non college grad here, but eight dollars a hour will easily pay for a Indian with a masters.

Collapse -
ONLY YOUR OPINION FOLKS..........I LOVE HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by nycboy0156 / April 6, 2007 6:12 AM PDT

I have purchased several computers from HP and they have all served me well. I only had one with a problem and HP immediately shipped a box, with a paid UPS shipping label. It was back in two weeks and has run problem free since. However, I did notice that a friend of mine who had the exact same model was always having problems. I think it was due to her surfing habits and just haphazardly clicking any dialog box that popped up without reading it's contents. In my experience it's usually the fault of the user that causes machines to begin to malfunction, barring an actual hardware problem. I've had my HPZE4430us for 3 years and it has never given me any reason for concern. It has run flawlessly since the day it arrived. I just reinstalled XP from the recovery CD's that HP sent me, and that is only because I installed a larger Hard Disk which needed the OS. I'm sorry you all have had such bad experiences, but I feel some of you will probably have similar experiences with ANY brand that you buy. Yes, there are lemons every now and then from all the manufacturers, but I have never found HP to refuse to fix any machine which malfunctions while under warranty. As for those who have problems understanding reps in India, HP also has web based "chat" for help where pronounciation is sure not to be a barrier. You might want to give that a try in the future.

Collapse -
Hey.. I beat that! Took HP laptop out of box - no sound
by rapvnzle / February 19, 2008 12:18 AM PST

Very disappointed with the HP product also. We got the drivers installed so the sound would work, but then the headphone jack didn't work. We tried installing all the software again, and low and behold .. no sound.. taking it back today... never again HP

Collapse -
worse then junk hp is a SCAM!!
by gp10048453 / May 29, 2010 4:15 AM PDT

My hp laptop broke down (the first time) LITERALLY 2 weeks out of warranty. I had to send them $400 for a new motherboard. They wanted $600 at first but I screamed at them so they lowered it.
Now 8 months after I get it back the same problems are happening again. I called them up and they told me that their $400 repair job only had a 90 day warranty and they would need $600 to repair another motherboard. Then the %^%^%$ers tried to sell me a $100 technical support program or some crap that I couldn't understand because they were in India.
What a joke. NEVER NEVER NEVER again will I buy ANYTHING that says HP on it. I recommend that you don't either.

Collapse -
This problem is happening to other makes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2010 6:39 AM PDT

Look at the chips used in the model and I'm seeing similar and same failures in other makes.

There's a lesson here.
Bob

Collapse -
HP JUNK
by gp10048453 / May 29, 2010 7:39 AM PDT

The funniest thing is, when I finally got a chance to talk to an English speaking technical support guy, he told me that HP has known about this problem for years and that I would be better off buying an Apple laptop.
apparently HP treats it's employees about the same as it's customers..........Just like dirt!!!
Why else would he let that slip?

Collapse -
Did you take the advice?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2010 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: HP JUNK

If you do your research you find every maker has a few bum designs. Some are due to the maker and some are victims themselves.

Look at the BAD CAPS story. No which maker didn't get hit with that one?
Bob

Collapse -
Yes
by gp10048453 / May 29, 2010 10:19 PM PDT

Yes most have bum designs but most companies try to make it right. HP just tries to screw you even harder by trying to sell you some "tech Support" program garbage.

Collapse -
Good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2010 10:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

Glad you're happy with the change. I had hoped to share with others the other causes. If consumers fall for the tech support packages there is little I can offer about that but note that companies will do everything to sell more.

This is rampant in Cell phone, Cable and more companies.
Bob

Collapse -
still ripped off
by gp10048453 / May 29, 2010 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Good.

So what you're saying is that it's ok that I got ripped off for $1600 from HP because all companies have their faults?
It may not be a lot of money to you but it is for me.

Collapse -
I didn't write it was OK.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2010 10:44 PM PDT
In reply to: still ripped off

Just that you see this all over (the push to sell services.)

Also, look at your car. If it fails outside of warranty do you feel ripped off? It's amazing how conditioned we are about the car, warranty and such but the laptop that fails outside of warranty and we scream.

That's a topic worthy of its own discussion but that is NOT WHY I'm chatting with you. It's so that folk learn what it was and that this is not limited to this company. Examples are the 8400M (google that!) and BAD CAPS (a problem that continues today in HDTV sets!)
Bob

Collapse -
Common problem
by rochesterbill / October 24, 2010 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: HP JUNK

I called HP support when I was told by the local repair shop that motherboard failure is very common with my DV6165cl notebook PC, and that HP is aware of the problem.. My call to HP was answered by a guy with a very heavy accent, I had a hard time understanding him so I asked to speak to someone that I could understand better.. After being on hold for over 20 mins. I was told that the supervisor wouldn't talk to me, and that HP would not even work on my laptop because it is a 2006 model.. Yes, it is 4 years old, but actually had very little use.. Once or twice a week for the first 3 years as we had a desktop that we mostly used..
I am very dissapointed with the product, and the non support from HP.. I did buy another HP but I got a desktop one this time, hope that this one will last longer.. Wish me luck..

Collapse -
HP is a huge scam
by akasuitor / January 5, 2011 10:48 AM PST

I also bought a DV6000. Motherboard gone. Worse it is integrated with the video card. Hp will not repair it. I have had it 3 weeks.
Hp stated" It is not under warranty. Only if you accidentally damage your laptop will HP repair it.
Thank God, I bought it at Sam's club. I have a 90 day, no questions asked from Sam's.
Now 3 years ago, I bought a cheap $500.00 laptop from H.P. and it did the same thing after 13 months.
Thus, H.P. is using their cheap parts in high end Laptops and charging 3X's the money.

H.P. is the "Packard Bell" or the new...Acer".

Collapse -
HP junk
by IT_stdent / February 6, 2013 2:29 AM PST

I have fujitsu, lenovo, asus and an HP laptop, the HP is one of the newest and the only one that ever gives me a problem. If you can't build anything but junk then, don't build it at all. I am an IT student so I've fixed most problems myself. Now the sound and wireless keep shutting off by themselves, sometimes one ot the other, sometimes both. Called HP; we know we make junk but, you'll have to pay us because we won't talk to you for free.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!