Laptops forum

General discussion

HP Laptop and External Monitor Problems

by mattcalgary / March 1, 2009 9:43 AM PST

I have an HP Pavilion DV2000t. On this laptop, I have a Geforce Go 7200 video card. Recently, I picked up a monitor to use with my laptop.

1) I cannot get the monitor to receive more than 1280x1024 @ 60Hz. The monitor is a Samsung T220 and functions just fine as I've tried it on another computer to make sure.

I'm on XP, using the latest driver I can find which is 8.4.6.4 (revision A).

I'm not sure what to do now and would love to be able to use my entire monitor!!

2) I'm not sure if this is related but I'm trying to calibrate my monitors using the Spyder2Express hardware. Spyder recognizes that I have two monitors yet only allows me to calibrate my laptop screen but says it is the T220 monitor! I do not believe my T220 is calibrated correctly, my laptop screen might be but who really knows.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Laptop and External Monitor Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Laptop and External Monitor Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm unsure here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 10:05 AM PST

I didn't see where you installed this monitor's driver. It's 1.0 and I think it's here

Bob

Message was edited by: admin to edit link to stop it from wrapping

Collapse -
That link wrapped. Try this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: I'm unsure here.
Collapse -
Thanks
by mattcalgary / March 1, 2009 10:21 AM PST

Sorry I forgot to mention that. I installed the analog driver from the CD that came with the monitor; I'm using the VGA cable from the laptop to the monitor.

I've read of this issue happening for people with vista, but they've gotten an update. Since I'm on XP, does this mean I'm SOL?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 10:30 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Since the monitor is mis-identified there is no reason for Windows to offer the right resolutions. You need to force the monitor to be that monitor. Sorry this is not an offer to teach how to use the control panel, properties, etc. I only replied since I thought I saw a missing step.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks.
by mattcalgary / March 1, 2009 12:41 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

Well thanks for the help anyways.

I have the monitors set up in the 'display properties' correctly and I've tried adjusting the resolution from there and the NVIDIA display menu. The resolution does indeed change to the monitor but the under the 'information' menu directly on the monitor, it still says it's only receiving 1280x1024 @ 60hz. The resolution when changed, will stretch/skew to make it work but it clearly is not correct.

Collapse -
Just one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 8:56 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks.

Don't clone the display. EXTEND IT to the other display. I have a simple Atom Netbook and may have seen your issue. But I won't change my working setup to test if that's it.

Try Windows "EXTEND THE DESKTOP" rather than cloning the display.

There are other reasons such as video chip or not enough video ram (no, laptops are not expandable in this area) but you seem to be very close to getting this to work.
Bob

Collapse -
ok!
by mattcalgary / March 2, 2009 12:56 AM PST
In reply to: Just one thing.

Well I got it working how I want to, that is, open lid with 1680x1050 resolution on my monitor and the 1280x800 resolution on my laptop.

I still believe some of the monitor profiles are messed up. I noticed that the properties of monitor 2 (which was set for the Samsung) is listed as 'default' in its properties and no other profiles available. My actual default monitor, laptop screen listed as 1, had two default profiles and the Samsung profile. I needed to replace one of these defaults so now I have 2 samsung profiles and only 1 default.

It's working and I'm not sure if it's setup correctly or what at this point I don't mind. I tried to calibrate both monitors but so far have only been able to calibrate my laptop screen as I have no idea how to get Spyder to setup test fields on the monitor, only my laptop. I think it is taking the laptop settings and duplicating it to my monitor. I guess all my photo editing will have to be restricted to my laptop which I suppose isn't a huge deal. Although having a 22" screen instead of a 14.1" would be a nice change!

Thanks for all your guy's help.

Collapse -
Are you
by samkh / March 1, 2009 2:11 PM PST

running the laptop with its display open and do you see outputs on both screens? If so, you're not going to get the monitor's native res. Only ways to get native are if you toggle off the internal or you shut the lid and use ext. kybd/mouse.

Collapse -
Ahhh!
by mattcalgary / March 1, 2009 2:37 PM PST
In reply to: Are you

Yes, I was wanting to run my laptop open and have an external monitor.

I've setup my monitor as the only display available and I can make the custom size 1680x1050 which is the recommend resolution for this screen.

This really sucks though! There is no way around this? Why does it do this?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?