Phones forum

General discussion

HP iPAQ hx4700 : some questions

by christy / October 24, 2005 12:18 AM PDT

This is for those who uses the iPAQ hx4700 or other 1PAQs.

?The manual does not mention the Voice Recorder at all. For the hx4700, the voice recorder is activated by a switch located near the top of the left side. How does the voice recorder work - what is the time limit for one session of recording ? Where is the microphone ?

? For listening to music via earphones, can I use any "standard" stereo ear phones or do I have to use the specific ones which can be purchased from HP, which may incoporate a microphone - ? Nothing about this at the manual.

Thanks.

christy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP iPAQ hx4700 : some questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP iPAQ hx4700 : some questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Answers...
by John.Wilkinson / October 24, 2005 6:25 AM PDT

I don't own the hx4700 (mind trading for an Axim X30 High? ;)), but I think I can help.

* The built-in microphone is located on the front, right-hand side towards the bottom. See that little hole? Consider that and the distance it is from you when you wish to record something.

* As far as a time limit goes, you're only limited by the amount of free space you have. However, there are two important things to note:
1. You can adjust the recording quality by going start->settings->Personal->Input->Options.
2. Recordings are saved in 'notes,' which can cause two problems:
a. A 'note' is saved by default to the My Documents folder in your RAM...if you want it on a storage card, or in ROM, you'll have to create a note, copy and paste it to the desired location, then open it and start the recording.
b. If you want the recording to be a standard audio file (MP3, WAV, etc), you'll need to get a third-party program, such as Resco Audio Recorder ($19.95).

* The hx4700 has the standard 3.5mm headphone jack, meaning you're not restricted to those sold by HP, and you won't need an adapter for a third-party brand.

* As far as using an external microphone, I believe you'd need something along the lines of this adapter. Just don't quote me on that.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks....
by christy / October 24, 2005 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Answers...

for the answers, John. Sorry, no trading. The iPAQ was a birthday present. Wink

More questions:

The Internet Explorer that comes with Windows Mobile 2003 SE seems a far cry from its big brother - embeded sounds are not played, e.g. midi sequences from web sites, the audio bible does not ''read'' and does not seem to reconize some HTML codes, e.g. the marquee. Maybe I am askng for too much, but what can I do about it ? Any plug ins I can download and install ?

Thanks.

christy

Collapse -
What I do/use...
by John.Wilkinson / October 25, 2005 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks....

I too have found Pocket IE to be quite limited, but there are two plugins that may help: Macromedia Flash Player (free flash player) and Super Waba (free Java support, downloadable by clicking here. Those two should at least put a dent in the issue of limited functionality. There are also third-party browsers for the PPC, but their either buggy (like Mozilla's Firefox cousin Minimo, currently in early Beta) or fairly expensive (the premier NetFront costs $30). But, they may be worth a try.

Another thing you probably noticed is that some sites discriminate against those who aren't running IE6.0. (I believe even Yahoo still forces PPC owners to use the old mail interface.) To fix this, you can trick websites into thinking you're running the latest version by modifying your registry. (NOTE: It's best to be careful when modifying your registry, as it can cause problems, but this particular edit has caused no grievences to my knowledge.) Normally I recommend the free program TRE (Tascal Registry Editor), but the author's site is currently under construction. Thus, you'll need to use another one, such as the one included with Resco Explorer (listed below). Completely close IE (NOTE: Using the ''X'' typically doesn't close a program...it just hides it. You can close a program by going start->settings->system->memory->running programs, then selecting and stopping it. The program Wisbar, listed below, is one of many that can fix this hassle.), then in the registry editor, navigate to ''HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\internet settings\user agent'' and ''HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\internet settings\5.0\user agent'' and modify the value of ''Version'' to ''MSIE 6.00''. Exit out, launch IE, and websites should now see you as running IE6.
-------------------------------------------------------
Since you're new to Windows Mobile, and have realized how limited it is, I'm going to list a few programs that may make your PPC seem more like your PC. They have made my PDA much more enjoyable, and hopefully they'll do the same for you.

* Resco Picture Viewer ($25 after 14-day trial): Self-explanatory.

* Microsoft Money 2005 (FREE): A pocket version of MS Money that's syncable with the PC version. Although it's also pretty limited, compared to the PC version, you can't beat the price.

* Weather Panel ($13 after 15-day trial): Keep your current weather and weekly forecast on your today screen.

* Mapopolis: The mapping software (generates maps, directions, and locates businesses/addresses) is free, but the maps expire after the 9-day trial period. (If you're going on a trip, just download the maps for the counties you need the day before...if it's not a long trip, each map won't expire until after you return!)

* WordBook ($20 after 14-day trial): Technically a taking dictionary, but also includes a lot of information expected out of an encyclopedia. After the trial end, it's still usable, but presents a nag screen upon launch.

* Airscanner Mobile (FREE): While they don't look like much, the firewall, antivirus, and encryption utilities get the job done.

* NiceStart ($10): Great fraphical replacement for the standard password screen, which includes the ability to have the device perform a hard reset (wiping all data) if the wrong password is entered XX number of times as an added security feature. The demo is fully-fnctional and never expires, but does present a nag screen upon each successful login.

* Wisbar Advanced ($10): Don't like the Windows 95 look? No problem! This utility lets you skin the start menu, task bar, buttons, etc of Windows Mobile, and the installed programs. Just choose from one of the dozens of available skins (including some that look like Windows XP), then customize everything you want displayed! If you like Wisbar, but don't want to buy it, the older version is available for free. While it lacks a few of the advanced features and isn't quite as polished, it still gets the job done.

* Resco Keyboard ($25 after 14-day trial): This program will provide you with a keyboard that'll match your new password screen and skins, as well as a built-in calculator for easy calculations.

* Resco Explorer ($25 after 14-day trial): A much more powerful/advanced file explorer, which also includes a Today screen plugin for shortcuts and info concerning remaining battery life and memory (RAM, ROM, and storage cards).

Even if you don't wish to purchase anything, I'd suggest giving all of the above a try. Then, for even more software, you'll want to check out Handango, which has by far the best collection of software for the mobile user.

Now you can enjoy your ____th (;)) birthday present even more!

John

Collapse -
Wow !
by christy / October 25, 2005 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: What I do/use...

Thank you, John, for the wealth of information.

christy

Collapse -
No problem...
by John.Wilkinson / October 26, 2005 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Wow !

I've been using PocketPCs for four years now (I had Palms for three years before that), and have tried to take full advantage of the OS, performing every tweak I could find, and installing over 100 programs to truly make my PDA an extension of my computer. Hopefully Microsoft will one day step up development on the OS, including/enabling many of these features/functionalities by default.

I would like to add one thing that I forgot to mention in my previous post, though...the hx4700 is currently eligable to receive an upgrade to Windows Mobile 5.0! You can click here for the HP press release and order form, and here for an overview of the changes made to the OS. Personally, I don't think an upgrade's needed (third-party software more than picks up the slack), but the advancements made to the Pocket Office apps and added support of persistent memory (you won't lose your data if the battery dies), may be enough to warrent the consideration of paying the $40.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.