HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

HP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by tmal / August 3, 2004 7:25 AM PDT

I've got an HP pavillion that I am trying to perform a system recovery on. I tried using the recovery console in the HP tools but got a message saying "cannot create user partition, Recovery not complete". I called HP and they said that I probably had some corruption of the recovery partition on the drive and I would need a set of recovery discs. I ordered the discs and tried again.
Before trying the new installation with the disks I booted with an XP Home disk and deleted the partition and created a new partition, then formatted that new partition. I then tried to do a fresh install from the disks and after going through all 7 discs, i get the same error message as before.
I called HP again and they now told me that there was probably a problem with the drive and it should be replaced. I bought a new drive, installed it, partitioned it and reformatted and tried another clean installation and got the same error message as I got with the old drive"could not create user partition"

Has anyone dealt with this before and know how I can fix this problem?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: HP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2004 7:33 AM PDT

" I then tried to do a fresh install from the disks and after going through all 7 discs, "

Errp!

The recovery CD is bootable and is not on 7 discs. It is possible you tried some boot diskettes and this is full of potholes and problems since there are now more than 4 versions of the boot diskette set.

The recover CD I use on a local HP was created by the HP when we first booted it. The HP asked if we wanted to make Recovery CDs (since none come with the machine) so we did. To make sure they worked, the partitions were deleted, no creation or format was done. Then we booted the CD and it restored the machine as if from the factory.

People try all sorts of other methods, but they'll have to figure out why it doesn't work if they do that.

Bob

Collapse -
by Tman1 / August 4, 2004 12:58 PM PDT

Perhaps your HP is older.

Newer HPs have a hidden partition with the system recvery on it and if that doesn't work, the recovery they send you IS on 7 discs.

Collapse -
by Angela / August 3, 2004 8:15 AM PDT

Hi tmal

The Recovery disks like your partitions and previous installation to be exactly as HP intented and therefore if you have any corruption etc... the possibility of recovery not working is high. System Restore would have been a good place to start before doing a destructive recovery.

However, I have found that to do a destructive recovery in such a situation it is necessary to fdisk and format using a FAT32 (Win98) boot disk. Do not create partitions at all, as the recovery installation will want to set this up itself and will not work if you create them. A virgin HDD should be able to be used without any formatting whatsoever.

Cheers
Angela

Collapse -
by Basket628 / August 3, 2004 11:50 AM PDT

Anew Harddrive should alway's be formatted not a quick format and also don't need to make partition for Hp the recovery cd will do it all just boot to the cd then start the revoery.

Collapse -
by tmal / August 4, 2004 3:50 AM PDT

I've done just as you have said and I still get the same message when the installation is just about complete. "cannot create user partiton"
I called HP again and they are trying to tell me that it could be a motherboard problem. I don't think they know what they are talking about. I tried installing a version of XP Home that I own and it installed fine. I just can't use it because I can't activate it. I explained to HP that a regular windows instalation worked fine and it's just the recovery that's causing problems but they still insisted that there is something wrong with the motherboard. What a joke.
I even mentioned to HP that in their own support webpage, they have a reference to the error I'm getting in the troubleshooting FAQ and the guy sounded suprised and said yhe didn't know anything about it.
The problem is that the FAQ is of no help fixing the problem

Thanks for all the help

Collapse -
by Angela / August 5, 2004 12:40 PM PDT

Did you remove the partitions and format as FAT32 not NTFS? Use a Win98 Boot disk to do this.

Are the recovery disks the right ones for that Pavilion model? If not then your BIOS tattoo is what is preventing installation.

Is your HDD the original size and brand? Some earlier pavilions had issues restoring to added hardware. Also remove any added PCI Cards, HDD etc... from the machine before attempting a restore from Recovery disc sets.

I have a Pavilion and have received this message and a FAT32 format and no partitioning was the solution. I have since reinstalled about 5-6 times using the same method with no problems whotsoever.

If all esle fails use your full version WinXP and the product key on the side of your pavilion tower to activate it.

Cheers
Angela

Collapse -
Full version of win xp?
by kominek1 / March 7, 2005 8:14 PM PST

Win XP came preinstalled. And alot of what you just said flew right over my head (I'm not the most computer literate person.) I'm trying to get a HP Pavilion XT963 model # 3266 up and running

JK

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / August 3, 2004 12:09 PM PDT
I've got an HP pavillion that I am trying to perform a system recovery on.

By "system recovery", do you mean reinstalling ? Are you sure that HP sent you a set of Recovery Discs, a set of 7 ? That sound like a set of boot up discs.

A recovery disc will automatically format your HD, removing everything on it in the process and install the OS so that your computer will be in factory condition, system wise. Recovery discs by definition, would have come to you in CDs, either a single one or a set of two.
Collapse -
by tmal / August 4, 2004 3:52 AM PDT

yes, I'm talking about a complete instalation of the full operating system and all the software that came with it. The 7 discs are supposed to return the machine to "fresh out of the box" condition

Collapse -
by cookre / August 4, 2004 10:47 AM PDT

Hp does have a set of 7 CD's for some Pavilions as I have a set--The newer PC's will ask you to make a set of recovery CD's when you set it the first time or whenever you reinstall using the HP recovery built in on your harddrive on hiden partion.I just bought one of the newer PC's and it asked me to make a set of recovery disk (CD's)
If you want to get rid of the problem for good install Windows XP Pro and you want have that problem

Collapse -
Restoring HP Pavilion XT963 (3266) Need some serious help!
by kominek1 / March 7, 2005 5:49 PM PST

Have the 7 disc set and am trying to restore computer. Make it to the 'blue, HP Invent' screen.
Only options are F1 or F2 . CD dosen't seem to run to restore/reinstall. Haven't thrown a screamin' fit yet, but it's getting close. I am stumped.
JK

Collapse -
by David Chan / August 3, 2004 12:21 PM PDT

"Before trying the new installation with the disks I booted with an XP Home disk and deleted the partition and created a new partition, then formatted that new partition."

If you have the XP CD simply use it to complete the setup without running the rest of the seven Recovery Disks.

Then go to HP's website and download any motherboard drivers or Video/Sound/Lan drivers for your model.

The seven Recovery Disks will add lots of HP specific software that you do not need to cluter up your PC and may not use at all.

Collapse -
by tmal / August 4, 2004 3:56 AM PDT

"Before trying the new installation with the disks I booted with an XP Home disk and deleted the partition and created a new partition, then formatted that new partition."

This is exactly what I tried. I partitioned and formatted the drive using an XP Home disk but then had to switch to the HP discs because I no longer have the Microsoft key for the original factory install. My XP disk is from another computer so I can't use it on the HP

Collapse -
FYI, the original CD Key can be...
by David Chan / August 5, 2004 1:30 PM PDT

revealed if you install Belarc Advisor before you format the HDD.

Then you can use any XP HE CD to do the install but enter your CD Key when prompted.

Collapse -
no Win XP cd
by kominek1 / March 7, 2005 6:00 PM PST

I only have the 7 disc restore set. Any other ideas?

Collapse -
Kominek, what are you doing?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 7, 2005 8:19 PM PST
In reply to: no Win XP cd

Why are you posting on this thread with your problems?

This thread was started August 8th 2004 and your 3 posts are dated today, March 8th 2005.

The last reply on this thead was August 5th 2004.

If you have a problem, you're best to start a new discussion and give full details of your system and what the problem is.

Mark

Collapse -
I haven't a clue how this works
by kominek1 / March 7, 2005 9:33 PM PST

I've never been in a chat room or forum..I don't have a clue about what's up.
Thanks for getting me somewhere
kominek1

Collapse -
by Tman1 / August 4, 2004 1:01 PM PDT

I have seen this before, but it was so long ago, I can't remember what the solution was.

Because the stand alone XP install went through correctly, the problem may be with the BIOS or perhaps you upgraded something on the machine. Adding or changing the CDROM drive can make it so that the recovery discs do not recognize it as the correct machine to perform the recovery on.

Collapse -
delete all partitions
by Basket628 / March 7, 2005 8:53 PM PST

delete all partitions and don't make any partition of format let the recovery cd make them during the recovery its going to format the partition and create the partition what it needs try that see what happens if that don't work if have another harddrive put it in see if it will install ok on that drive.

Collapse -
FDISK?
by kominek1 / March 7, 2005 9:40 PM PST
In reply to: delete all partitions

I can't get passed press F1 for setup.

Collapse -
I had same problem
by leolmtak / March 7, 2005 10:24 PM PST

tmal
I wish I could help. I had exactly the same problem about a year ago. I asked help from the forum but the advice I got was above my head. So I brought my machine to a local repairman. It was fixed in a couple of hours. I asked him what he did, and he said he deleted te partition and installed all seven CD's from HP. He said he used a 98 boot disk to delete the partition.
Here is the URL to the discussion I had in this forum. I think you should read it.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=4614&messageID=54543
Good luck
Leo

Collapse -
Recovery cds
by stooge2990 / July 5, 2005 4:17 PM PDT

I bought my XT963 at a garage sale. HP said I needed part number 5066-0364. (The recovery CD/CDs)
I should receive them tomorrow. I don't know how many CDs are in the kit, but it is supposed to restore the machine to "out of the box new" condition.
HP's web site has instructions for operating the restore CDs.

Collapse -
Pavilion 3266
by katherineann / January 3, 2008 11:32 PM PST

I want to upgrade it with XP home...can I?

Collapse -
First...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2008 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: Pavilion 3266

I'd make a new post. But it appears you can install XP. You may have troubles finding drivers for the video card or modem but you can upgrade one, both or like most of us, toss out the modem.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.