Laptops forum

Question

HP G7 1075dx won't boot

by Mugwump313 / October 6, 2012 4:49 AM PDT

After 15 months, that's 3 months past the warranty, my laptop won't boot. The fan comes on, the charging light comes on, and the WiFi light comes on, but stays amber. The DVD drive makes the normal start-up noise and spins up when a disk is inserted.

No beeps, nothing on the screen, no Num Lock, or Cap lights and worst of all no boot-up.

I've done the "hard boot", I've replaced the DIMM sticks and tried another hard drive that I know is good. All with zero results.

Anyone have any other ideas, besides using it as a door stop?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP G7 1075dx won't boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP G7 1075dx won't boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Don't know what hard boot is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2012 5:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
HP G7 1075dx won't boot
by Mugwump313 / October 6, 2012 8:33 AM PDT

I removed the battery and unpluged the laptop. I then pressed the start button for 15 to 20 seconds, to discharge the last of the electricity in the unit.

I then plugged to unit back in, without the battery.

Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2012 9:03 AM PDT

I thought that was a reset. It seems there is some urban lore going on that folk are propagating. But that's the one but I use the longest time seen so far (60 seconds.)

Unless there is more to be told, it looks like a new motherboard is required.
Bob

Collapse -
BAD GPU
by TECH_ON_YOUR_SIDE / December 31, 2012 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: Odd.

There are cold soldering points on your GPU. The heat gun fix that youtube people were advertising several years ago for the NVIDIA chipset failure that was a class action lawsuit for HP is the same problem you're having here. There is NO class action lawsuit against your model laptop, but the problem is definitely the same. Don't expect to be rewarded anything new by HP. I know this for a fact because I was able to repair my co-workers laptop. The fix is only temporary at best. Don't buy another motherboard as the same issue will arise.

REPLACE YOUR LAPTOP and stay away from anything that HP produces with an AMD or NVIDIA chipset.
AMD is an awesome brand, and I use their cpu's in almost all my custom builds. Sorry HP, but the truth hurts sometimes. HP's Intel based hardware is usually fine if you want another HP.

Collapse -
I will never support an HP product again
by nsaretards / January 6, 2014 8:20 AM PST
In reply to: BAD GPU

My laptop I bought new at a staples in fall of 2011.. cost me 550.00 american.. came preinstalled windows 7 home premium.. I always thought I kepted it clean.. always followed the windows auto updates.. disk cleaned ..upgraded atti virus (avg free addition 2014 when they said it was recommended) all this and It outside of HP warranty, it crashed.. called HP and they said it will cost over 400.00 for repair.. I honestly do not understand why no lawsuites exist against HP AND THEIR INFERIOR PRODUCTS.. So how can I fix this windows crash without a recovery disk they never provided me when I bought it brand new? Why is my government looking the other way?

Collapse -
Answer
BAD GPU
by TECH_ON_YOUR_SIDE / December 31, 2012 5:02 AM PST

There are cold soldering points on your GPU. The heat gun fix that youtube people were advertising several years ago for the NVIDIA chipset failure that was a class action lawsuit for HP is the same problem you're having here. There is NO class action lawsuit against your model laptop, but the problem is definitely the same. Don't expect to be rewarded anything new by HP. I know this for a fact because I was able to repair my co-workers laptop. The fix is only temporary at best. Don't buy another motherboard as the same issue will arise.

REPLACE YOUR LAPTOP and stay away from anything that HP produces with an AMD or NVIDIA chipset.
AMD is an awesome brand, and I use their cpu's in almost all my custom builds. Sorry HP, but the truth hurts sometimes. HP's Intel based hardware is usually fine if you want another HP.

Collapse -
Quick fix
by drchemy / December 23, 2013 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: BAD GPU

I have found that if you leave the laptop on for about an hour on a surface that is a lousy heat sink such as a pillow or a sofa, the computer will usually boot up once you turn it off and back on again. My theory is that when you get the GPU very hot it expands and pushes down (it has a heat sink on top of it) on the motherboard and makes a better contact. Once I got the unit to reboot I leave it on - I avoid turning it off because the problem rearises every time you reboot.

Collapse -
Thread is more than 443 days old.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 23, 2013 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: Quick fix

And your post is utter nonsense.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Huh?
by drchemy / December 23, 2013 9:07 AM PST

It's worked for me for about a year. The reason why it works certainly could be wrong but that doesn't really matter to me. Maybe my post was not clear. If you leave the computer on when it does not boot the computer is still running and will get very hot when you place it on a poor heat sink such as a pillow or towel.

Collapse -
The exact opposite of what you are saying.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 23, 2013 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: Huh?

Would be canned air and thermal paste. Deliberately heating it up would cause problems.
Maybe you're confusing it with "thermal paste will spread after use when first applied.

Dafydd.

PS.
Post is still old.

Collapse -
Let's call this shade tree electronics repair.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2013 9:16 AM PST
In reply to: Huh?

I won't debate that it may work but it's a crude workaround to avoid a repair.

This discussion is very old so I'm calling it solved and closed.
Bob

Collapse -
Other fix is not very good either and is time consuming
by drchemy / December 24, 2013 3:51 AM PST

From TECH_ON_YOUR_SIDE's post:

. The fix is only temporary at best. Don't buy another motherboard as the same issue will arise.

I too would certainly recommend replacing your laptop if you have this problem. The fix I described is best suited for getting the laptop to boot one last time so you can get all of the info on the laptop backed up before you scrap it.

Also there is a good video on you tube which addresses the gpu problem (see link below) . He outlines a reflow procedure that he claims is a more permanent solution. Another suggestion he made that I have yet to try is the problem could be as simple as a bad wifi card.and not the gpu. It's pretty easy to disconnect the wifi card to determine if this is the problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEV43byTP9I

Collapse -
That's clearer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2013 12:26 AM PST

I want to be clear that no shop I know will do that work and warranty it.

Good note on the WiFi card issue. I've bumped into that along with other parts such as HDD, memory, ODD and such.
Bob

Collapse -
SO SO WRONG DO NOT DO THIS
by jimp13 / March 29, 2016 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Quick fix

I have seen many laptops overheat and catch fire by covering the vents. DO NOT DO WHAT THIS GUY SAID.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.