Laptops forum

General discussion

HP G6000 Not booting issue - only boots if CMOS is removed

by rory_davies / November 1, 2009 11:30 PM PST

A standard boot up will not happen. This laptop will only boot up if you take the cmos battery out for 20 minutes (and the mains power and the main battery) - ie BIOS memory cleared.

If I choose restart from Windows it will not boot - there is no Bios info or options - the power light comes on, the HDD LED flashes once and the fan spins for 0.5 seconds. Then it tries the above again.

I have loaded up new versions of the bios and tried all kinds of chk disk and googled for hours but seems all advice is just to replace the CMOS battery which I have done already....

I have re-seated the RAM, used one then the other, in both RAM ports, doesn't appear to be a RAM issue.

Any ideas? or is the mobo toasted?

Thanks

Rory.

PS running Windows Vista Home Premium which boots happily from a cleared Bios memory.
PPS Exact model number is HP G6065EA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP G6000 Not booting issue - only boots if CMOS is removed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP G6000 Not booting issue - only boots if CMOS is removed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell me one more thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2009 11:41 PM PST

Using your Digital Volt Meter, what voltage is that CMOS battery reading?

The other clue is the trials of other BIOS versions. That's never a good sign. I think in 20 years that paid off 2 times. So go back to the ORIGINAL BIOS issue.

Sadly, as told it looks like a new mainboard is needed.
Bob

Collapse -
CR2032 -3volt - I have tried the original one and 2 new ones
by rory_davies / November 2, 2009 12:10 AM PST

The BIOS was only updated to see if it would resolve the issue - it made no difference - so I am thinking it is a Mobo issue - except flushing the Bios memory causes it to start correctly... which leads me to think there is a Bios influence to the issue...

Collapse -
I disagree
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 1:29 AM PST

While there is likely something that could be coded (that is written NEW by a programmer) the story is consistent with a failed board. Here's how I demonstrated this to a customer (that paid for the demo!) years ago. We installed the new board and it worked. They paid for us to demo the old board and the reset same as the new board and the old board failed every time. Flip in the new board and it worked first time every time.

Still rare to find someone that would pay another 2 hundred to prove they were not being ripped off by a board change but it was interesting and a lesson they were willing to pay for.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!