Laptops forum

Question

HP G50 laptop not powering up

by upacrk1 / October 27, 2012 3:01 AM PDT

Yesterday my laptop was working fine unplugged. Plugged it into the charger overnight as usual. This morning I see the LED next the charger plug is lit, but the charging light on the front of the laptop is not lit. I tried a different battery but that didn't help. I tried a different charger and that didn't help either. Pressing the power button and even holding it down doesn't do anything. I've run out of ideas. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP G50 laptop not powering up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP G50 laptop not powering up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you do the usual 60 second no battery hold?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2012 3:28 AM PDT

If so, we move on to ANY other clues. There are very few user serviceable parts in these machines so depending on the clues we look to chargers and motherboards most of the time.
Bob

Collapse -
60 second no battery hold
by upacrk1 / October 27, 2012 4:52 AM PDT

Yep. I tried the "60 second hold the power button" suggestion a few times. Nothing! I have tried two different chargers, both of which were working, and that didn't seem to improve the situation. What would go wrong on the motherboard to cause the power led on the front of the laptop to not work when the power led by the charger plug input does light? Thanks for any insight into this issue!

Collapse -
Most common cause I run into is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2012 6:22 AM PDT

Laptop Power Jacks. Add the word Repair on google and you see an industry.

We can't use the lights to say the connections are actually there. And Dell among others had to implement a way to lock out unauthorized chargers with an unintended side effect when the handshake fails.

Wish I could plug it in and feel it. After a few thousand times I can guess if a jack is gone by its feel. The jack is one of those cheap fixes and after that it's the motherboard.

-> I'll supply that the move to Pb free solder has resulted in earlier failures. Lots of studies with folk on both sides. Sadly the ones that are enviro-hawks tend to distort the issue.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
maybe the hareware failure lead to this issue
by ruruliu / October 30, 2012 4:40 PM PDT

Hello. There is a hardware failure with the laptop not the AC charger. AC chargers have some range of protections of their own. If the power requirements of the laptop are bigger then what the charger can handle, the charger will turn off. Also other parameters can bring the charger offline. In your case, you have a problem with a small chip, the battery charge controller unit, witch regulates the amount of current required to propperly charge the battery. When this thing fails, the charging requirements for the battery are reported rong and the AC charger is forced to give more power then necesary. This results in disconnection of the AC charger ( an internal fail safe of the AC charger) and the laptop to swich back to battery power. When the laptop is turned off, it can charge the battery because the power requirements are low, having all processor, main board, hard disk etc turned off. Therefore the AC charger can handle the load. However you will need to have it checked by a service center as it is a hardware fault. Both AC charger and laptop needs that check. The charge controll circuit needs to be replaced probably. It will be a somewhat expensive repair. Don't buy any other battery untill you have the laptop checked.

Collapse -
I suspect an internal hardware fault inside the laptop
by upacrk1 / October 30, 2012 11:29 PM PDT

Hi,
Thanks for the response. An update - my son bought an identical laptop when I bought mine. So I borrowed his and tried using its battery and charger. No change - the led at the charger port is lit and that's all, just like with the original charger and battery. My son's fully charged battery did not power the laptop up. This leads me to believe that there is some internal fault in the laptop, maybe on the MB? Just an additional thought - once in a while in the morning when the laptop had been on charge overnight (with the lid closed), I would find (hear) the computer running and the fan running on high. It's possible that something overheated during an episode like this. It is also possible that there was a Microsoft update at these times. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?