Laptops forum

General discussion

hp envy 14 or hp dv6 30532nr

by saadishahid / October 4, 2010 9:50 PM PDT

Hi,
I am looking for a laptop. Mostly i will be needing it for basic stuff like checking email, using microsoft office etc. Occasionally i will also be doing CAD. My budget is around $1000. Also i would be taking this machine to college.

I have shortlisted the following two options:
1. hp envy 14 with core i5 460m 6 gb ram and ATI 5650 GPU.
2. hp dv6 - 3052nr with core i7 720qm 6 gb ddr3 ram and ati 5650 gpu.

I am just inclined towards envy because it will supposedly be having a better built quality and since i dont live in usa, i want to stay out of trouble of claiming warranty (although hp has warranty support in my country, but global warranty do have limitations).
one more thing, should I opt for i7 or more ram??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hp envy 14 or hp dv6 30532nr
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hp envy 14 or hp dv6 30532nr
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this a desktop replacement?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2010 12:35 AM PDT

If so I have little issue with the i7, heat and other issues there. If this is a laptop, we want to stick with the i5 today. It is that simple.
Bob

Collapse -
envy 14 with i5 or dv6 with i5?
by saadishahid / October 5, 2010 1:29 AM PDT

ok...so if i choose an i5 processor, do you think hp envy is a good choice? or should i go with a dv6 that comes with an i5 processor (so i can save a little money). My top most concern is the reliability of the machine (and this is the only reason why i am going for envy, screen quality is now same as dv6 on envy)

Collapse -
Ahh, reliability.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2010 1:41 AM PDT

That's a terrible area to discuss. I can't write that PCs of any ilk could be considered reliable. One pest and it's down.

I own a dv6 albeit an older model with the core 2 duo and it's a bit bendy but is still working well. However my laptops and the ones at the office last for years. I can only guess that we are good owners. The stories I read here often make me wonder how folk get by.

For example the folk at the office know about the yearly maintenence cycle. If you ask your average laptop owner they don't know what you are talking about and treat the machines like bricks. Even to the point of tossing them into bags, tossing the bags around and slamming the lid shut. Ouch!

Bob

Collapse -
Difference between envy and pavilion
by saadishahid / October 7, 2010 7:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Ahh, reliability.

Actually, I am a careful user, so damage due to bad handling is not a big concern. What I really fear are hardware issues, like hard disk crashes etc.
Considering that now both envy and pavilion line have aluminium casing (and I have read that pavilions are having decent finishing as well) and same screen (radiance display is no longer available) what is the real difference between both lines now? i mean, is envy equipped with better quality hardware parts, or is it just expensive because of its looks?

Collapse -
I can write
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2010 12:40 AM PDT

The hard drives, CPUs and most chips are the same. The costs of design and finish do cost so that's most of the difference and not any inherent better parts. You should try the keyboard of each. I don't particularly like the dv keyboards. You may differ.

I just came back from shopping and did not see aluminum cases on the dv series. Which model has that?
Bob

Collapse -
1 more thing...
by saadishahid / October 8, 2010 4:46 AM PDT

So apart from looks, there is as such no performance boost comparing to a similarly specd dv6?

Collapse -
Reposting for saadishhahid
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 8, 2010 4:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
ok..i didn't knew that
by saadishahid / October 8, 2010 4:54 PM PDT

@bob...you can check dv6 se and some newer d6 models on various stores

Collapse -
I checked it out. No aluminun cases.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2010 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: ok..i didn't knew that

I see an aluminum finish but same old plastic cases for the dv6.
Bob

Collapse -
So what looks to be aluminium is actually painted plastic?
by saadishahid / October 9, 2010 8:13 PM PDT

This means that only envy has aluminium body

Collapse -
to sum up
by saadishahid / October 9, 2010 8:17 PM PDT

envy 14 is a better buy as an all purpose laptop. core i5 provides suitable battery life, and perhaps thats the only reason that I will be getting an i5 laptop instead of an i7 one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?