Laptops forum

Question

HP Elitebook 8730w power problems worth fixing?

I was recently left with a non-functional HP Elitebook 8730w 17 inch laptop. This is an older model as it came with Vista on it but has some nice specs for an older unit. It is a 2.53GHZ Core 2 Duo and all with discrete NVIDIA graphics. I originally thought this might be related to the NVIDIA curse but don't think it is.

Diagnostic has revealed it is likely a power problem on the motherboard. I have worked on some in the past like this. It wont' charge the battery and the power lights at the lower left of the laptop just flash continuously. I found many references to this problem but no solutions besides replacing the board. I tried a different power cord and that didn't help.

I found the entire lower half of one of these laptops with ATI graphics for about $75. It is everything including the CPU but I would need to transfer the HDD, RAM, battery, and such to the new unit as well as the screen of course. This doesn't seem like a bad price but wanted to get opinions here if this model is flawed or not. I don't want to fix it and then have it die again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Elitebook 8730w power problems worth fixing?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Elitebook 8730w power problems worth fixing?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with no.

In reply to: HP Elitebook 8730w power problems worth fixing?

It's a 2009 model so at 6 years it's an old laptop that is best not doing any investment on. You may get some coin by ebaying it as-is.
Bob

Collapse -
I am kinda on the fence.

In reply to: I'm going with no.

One part of me says it is a 6+ year old laptop and isn't worth fixing. The other part of me says it was very nice for its time and still knocks the socks off any of the cheapos being sold today in terms of specs and build quality.

If I wasn't fat on decent used laptops I have repaired to resell as well as several I use for my own personal use, I would jump on the opportunity to fix this for $75.

I may sit on this a bit and not make any big decisions or just try to move it on eBay. One of the issues I have with eBay is that people often don't pay enough for laptop bezels/housings to make selling them there worthwhile. I may try once and then recycling it if not. I will pull the CPU, RAM, and HDD as those might come in handy down the line. I still get quite a few systems from this era in for work.

Collapse -
Having been down that road a few times.

In reply to: I am kinda on the fence.

My wife has this under 200 Asus xa200c that we popped a 240GB SSD (under 99 bucks) and it cleans the clock of old core2duo machines. Boots in under 15 seconds cold, resumes from hibernation in under 5 seconds and from sleep in under 3 seconds. It was a Woot.com refurb and similar new laptops at amazon's best sellers are 250 bucks. (sans the SSD of course.)

Those parts are often hard to dispose of and why I usually just send it off as-is and move forward.
Bob

Collapse -
Yeah, Woot and others have some pretty good deals.

In reply to: Having been down that road a few times.

I don't know which CPU your Asus has, but I looked up one and found a 1.5 GHZ Celeron Dual Core. It still ranks just below the Core 2 Duo I have in terms of RAW processing power. That doesn't include the fact that the newer but cheaper Celeron has better memory access, can do SATA 3.0, much better onboard video, and much better power efficiency.

Either way, I don't "need" another laptop sitting around right now. I will give it 1 or 2 tries on eBay and then send it down the road to the recyclers. If it had been some old XP unit, that would have been a no-brainer but this one was recent enough to consider.

I happen to have a little Celeron Dual Core based netbook. I believe it is the 1.4GHZ version of what you have in 1.5GHZ. I put an SSD in it and use it as a media PC. The onboard graphics have never let me down on any video content. Definitely not bad for what I paid for it and what I use it for...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.