Laptops forum

General discussion

HP dv9208nr Laptop Memory

by teseries / February 27, 2007 12:05 PM PST

Hey I just bought a new laptop, an HP dv9208nr it came with 1 gb of memory but I was looking around at newegg and found some memory I was wondering if my laptop shown here http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8216441&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050015&id=1166236072024 which supports PC2-4200 DDR2, is able to support this memory I found at newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144183 , if I upgrade to 2 gb of memory? Is this cheap memory that its going to be slower than more expensive memory? The best buy guy said it would be around $300 to upgrade so I?m leery that this will work, I figured Best Buy will be more expensive but this would be only half the cost. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP dv9208nr Laptop Memory
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP dv9208nr Laptop Memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Compare parts with crucial.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 12:20 PM PST

Sometimes I can sniff out what is needed by taking my que from crucial.

Bob

Collapse -
Look at Crucial
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / February 28, 2007 6:15 AM PST

Run the memory scanner from crucial.

With Crucial memory, you are sure to get somehting compatible with your laptop. Plus, Crucial is less expensive I think ( for my Dell E1505, 143 $ for Kingston vs 100 $ for Crucial for System Specific Memory For Dell ) ...

Collapse -
ok,
by teseries / March 1, 2007 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: Look at Crucial

I'll make sure to check out crucial, thanks. Does anyone know if it is overly difficult to install laptop memory? I've installed desktop memory without problems but is it a good idea to have a professional do it for laptops? Thanks

Collapse -
You can do it
by linkit / March 1, 2007 9:00 AM PST
In reply to: ok,

If you have done this in a desktop, the notebook shouldn't be too much of a problem. On newer notebooks, you can access the memory slots by removing the memory door on the bottom of the case. Sometimes there is one slot behind the memory door and another slot underneath the keyboard. If so, you must also remove the keyboard to access the second slot.

Here's an instructional video for the HP dv9000 series notebooks:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00815041&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3340199&rule=2216&lang=en

(Looks like both slots are behind the memory door.)

Collapse -
Laptop Ram install
by jimroad471 / March 1, 2007 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: You can do it

It's a snap. Unscrew the lttle door to memory compartment on the the bottom. Line up evenly and push downward and it SNAP into place. This all done with power OFF

Collapse -
Also done with...
by linkit / March 1, 2007 11:56 AM PST
In reply to: Laptop Ram install

...the notebook unplugged, the battery removed, and a grounding strap.

Collapse -
thanks...
by teseries / March 1, 2007 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: Also done with...

This helps alot.

Collapse -
On a different note
by dlfnl8y / June 11, 2007 5:25 AM PDT

How has your dv9208nr been working out? I've had constant problems. I get error messages for a webcam (which the system doesn't have), I get a yahoo tool bar on the IE sometimes but not others. I've set the system not to accept downloads and always ask permission before installs, yet it downloads and installs.

I've actually had to do a recovery twice. I'm really afraid to get to comfortable with the system for fear I need another recovery. Plus I was expecting a 64-bit Vista but it has 32-bit.

Help please.....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.