Laptops forum

General discussion

HP dv9000 weird power problem

I've encountered a weird power issue on my laptop. I did some research and it has happened to a few others but it seems to mostly be a rare occurrence. All that aside I have a power short somewhere on the laptop. When I try to turn it on all of the status buttons (power, hd, battery, etc.) light up and you hear the fan kick on then it all instantly shuts back down, it can't be more than a second. So I read up and people suggested removing everything and reseating it, well i basically took the entire thing apart and put it back together. Which at first yielded no difference. Then through various tinkering and just trial and error I finally got the laptop to power up. Oddly enough it powered up only when it didn't acknowledge my hard drive. The laptop would power up with a blank screen and the hard drive status light would not flash or anything, it would reboot twice and then shut down. Then I tried again later and I get the same issue as before but now it acknowledges the hard drive. Seems like such an odd issue. Everything appears to be in working order, but there seems to be some kind of power short somewhere in the laptop. Suggestions? Or should I just scrap it out and get a new laptop? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP dv9000 weird power problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP dv9000 weird power problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Call it in.

In reply to: HP dv9000 weird power problem

My neighbors have a dv9000 (that's the series, not the model number) and HP shipped them a box to put it in. 2 weeks passed and it's fixed now. Cost? nothing.

Don't let such items fall out of warranty either.
Bob

Collapse -
Looking into it

In reply to: Call it in.

I've looked and theres no service extension or recall concerning my issue. Which doesn't surprise me since it seems to be farely rare. As such I was more curious if anyone had suggestions as to a solution since it is out of warranty. Or ideas as to what it may be? I've reseated pretty much everything, my hard drive, memory, pci express, battery, etc, and nothing seems to make a difference. I'm fairly certain its a goner, but I would like a second opinion first before I give up, thanks.

Collapse -
Not rare.

In reply to: Looking into it

Pretty well known to those that see a lot of machines. You don't want to know how much to fix out of warranty.

Collapse -
Uh, ok

In reply to: Not rare.

Thanks again for not really answering the question asked. But I'm going to take a leap and infer from your post that the laptop is not worth the cost in fixing. Regardless of how common it is on laptops, it doesn't appear to be very common on MY model of laptop. Which was what I was stating, perhaps I should have qualified the statement better. Again anything I should try first before buying a new one? I don't need anecdotes I need answers.

Collapse -
as Bod already said

In reply to: Uh, ok

call HP, complain, explain and (maybe) gain...

jonah

Collapse -
It's a problem on the motherboard.

You may encounter people that want to fix it themselves so you must humor them. Tell them to get a price on the board so they will feel like they did the right thing.

Even slightly out of warranty HP is doing the right thing. What I'm running out of ideas on is why people don't let HP fix it.
Bob

Collapse -
HP dv9000 weird power problem

Hi, did you fix the issue? I have got to exactly the same issue with the same model. I'm just curious if it is worth of trying to repair it.

Collapse -
Have you read this discussion?

I get the feeling you don't like the answers. But I'm now at dozens of this model with HP swapping motherboards every time. HP is well aware of this problem so the question is now "Did you ask them?"
Bob

Collapse -
HP Pavilion with NVIDIA chipset

HP Pavilion with NVIDIA chipset

Faulty components / no customer support

Warning! There are major problems with the complete line of HP Pavilion with NVIDIA chipset's. (Excessive Heat issue)
HP knows about the problem (check out the forum on HP?s web site) but they continue to sell these pieces of junk without support.
If you have one of the HP Pavilion DO NOT install the patch NVIDIA recommends, this patch only forces the cooling fan to run continuously which delays the eventual failure of the video portion causing the laptop to become useless past warranty.

Quote?s form Class action law suit. (Line 24 & 25 of page 6)
? ?the NVIDA GPUs is not robust enough to withstand normal operation?
? ?HP Confirmed the NVIDIA GPU Defect in an Internal Investigation?

Basic response from HP when notified of the failure past warranty, enjoy your brick and thanks for the money, sorry can?t help you without a large expense on your part.

You have been warned

My advice if your HP laptop is still under warranty, REPLACE IT WITH ANOTHER BRAND, FasT!!!

Collapse -
Still looking for a solution

In reply to: Not rare.

Well, I would like to thank everyone for their help, knowledge, and assistance. I did follow the instructions for trouble shooting, and then telephoned HP. After a lengthy, calm conversation with the representative in tech support (that is the department they routed me to) I asked the gentleman to allow me to send it in for repair and explained that I had been trying to return or have this unit repaired since it was 91 days old. To which customer service had responded that I would have to pay another $600.00 for a warranty, and then they would repair it.
I calmly explained this to the representative. That I had paid approximately $1500.00 for the HPdv9233cl and that the unit has had extreme heat issues and a cmos battery problem since purchase, which I noted within the first 90 days. He held staunchly to his position that I would need to pay for any assistance. After asking him many questions about how he could help me he responded that if I had agreed to give a credit card for fees he could have assisted me with any SOFTWARE problems.
My response to him was that it had already been determined to be a hardware problem. I asked him if he could direct me to an area of HP where the hardware issue could be resolved. He said no, yet I persisted in this direction of questioning. I had requested to speak to someone else at HP that could actually assist me in resolving this issue, a number of times. He left the phone and came back saying that his supervisor was off today and so there was no one else that could assist me. This resulted in the representative telling me he could get me a replacement computer for only $329.00, a brand new computer. A better one. I expressed that I would like to follow him along on line so I could see the information while he was talking to me about it. He expressed that he was talking about a Compaq Presario. I commented that I had no interest in that. He then referred me to another model Hp g62 m series. I explained that after all the issues I have dealt with my current HP unit; I probably would not be interested in purchasing another HP. The representative directed me to an HP G72 Notebook, he would give it to me for only $579.00 I looked at the web page and said, wait, your solution to solving the hardware problem is to try and get me to buy another HP? The representative had been phrasing his comments as though he was offering me some special deal to compensate for the bad experience/bad unit I had already purchased. Only to see that this is the regular pricing on the website (and you build from these base units to get the computer you want) I continued, you are not offering me any special pricing to offset all the problems of this lemon unit and the poor customer service that I have had to deal with? To which he made some remark about he wanted to direct me to making a better investment, and something like not wanting me to throw good money after bad?
So, I am still interested in a cost effective repair for the unit I currently deal with the HP dv9233cl, and I see that someone out there knows how to repair them and does it regularly. Contact me with your ideas ok?
Thanks

Collapse -
Sorry.

In reply to: Still looking for a solution

But after too many dv6000, dv6000 and tx1000 failures and now seeing other models that used those chipsets my thoughts are to move away from this machine as quickly as you can.

DO NOT INVEST MONEY on this one. Yes, some are fixing it by baking the board or hot air on the chips but this is turning out to be hit, miss and when it works has no longevity I can report.

You can find those that claim to fix them on google but my experience is to never accept one for repair.
Bob

Collapse -
Reply to - Still looking for a solution

In reply to: Still looking for a solution

I realize I'm late with this post, but in the interest it may help someone;

As lightly touched upon, but not all the way, it is the OVERHEATING of the Nvidia GPU, (Graphics Processing Unit. Or graphics chipset ), and the subsequent partial melting of the solder connections, of the GPU in the BGA surface mount.

HP didn't incorporate sufficient cooling for the GPU, and just barely enough for the Processor.
The plates on the Cooling Tube are TOO small, for one.

Primer:
The cooling system of the Pavilion dv9000 series of Notebook PC's, is the Fan Assembly, Heatsink, Cooling Tube, and the metal plates which are attached to the Cooling Tube.

There is a small metal plate which sits on top of the GPU. This plate is at one end of the Cooling Tube. Coming up the Cooling Tube a little further, is another small metal plate. This one a little larger than the one on the GPU, and sits on the top of the Processor.

One plate absorbs heat from the GPU, and the other plate absorbs heat from the CPU. (Processor)
Heat is then absorbed by the Cooling Tube.
The Cooling Tube is a slightly flattened copper tube, which is filled with Nitrogen, and sealed on both ends.

Heat is then transferred along the Cooling Tube, until it reaches the Heatsink at the other end.

Basic construction of the Heatsink is a plate of metal with Tall, thin fins protruding from it.
The Tall, thin fins absorb the heat, and radiate it away.
Air from the Fan Assembly helps to dissipate the heat. (Helps to carry the heat away from the fins)

The Processor, and the GPU are the two hardware components inside a computer, that give off the most heat.

Due to the plate of metal on the GPU is too small, the GPU overheats. This leads to partial melting of the solder connections, of the GPU to the motherboard. That leads to the computer not turning on, or bad graphics shown on the internal monitor. (And external monitor if attached)

The mounting of the GPU to the motherboard is done via a BGA surface mount.
Ball Grid Array.
To explain the BGA surface mount, allow me to use an older Intel Pentium 4 processor, that uses a Socket 478 processor socket.

The processor has contact pins on the bottom. (478 of 'em) The processor socket has matching socket holes. (478)
With a BGA surface mount, Solder Balls take the place of the contact pins.
Copper Pads on the motherboard take the place of the socket holes, and using a socket.

The graphics chipset (GPU) is set into place, with the Solder Balls lining up with the matching Copper Pads.
Heat is then applied at a specific temperature, and length of time.
The Solder Balls melt, which solders the graphics chipset to the Copper Pads.
(To the motherboard)

Constant overheating will partially melt those solder connections, and cause a poor connection.
(GPU to motherboard)

Non-professional method is to try using a form of heat, such as a propane torch, or hot air gun, with a metal heatsink made of tin surrounding the graphics chipset, and remelting the solder connections.

A very 'Iffy' repair. May work for a few days, weeks, months, or years.
Professional method is to use a BGA Rework machine.
Price? Can you say O-U-C-H?

Collapse -
dv9000

call hp there is recall for that problem i did they will replace motherboard mine was out of warranty dont take no for answer

Collapse -
dv9000

These are one of the laptops i fix for a living.
It's a 98% chance its the system board.
Have replaced many.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
compaq presario cq42 power problem

i have laptop in which major problem is power when i press power button it on for a second and it switch off there is no short in power section how can i fix this problem

Collapse -
This is an odd place for your post.

In reply to: compaq presario cq42 power problem

But if it's like the model in discussion here, you replace the motherboard.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.