Windows Vista forum

General discussion

hp dv6402 video hardware error

by leeroybrowwn / July 8, 2007 2:10 PM PDT

iv e just bought an hp dv6402 and it came with vista preinstalled . im the first owner and just got it today. i loaded vista and ran all the norton tasks . then i tried to play solitare andd i got a black screen and then it said that my display driver not responding but has recovered and then came back on ! i was worried cuz the pc is brand new ! what should i do ? the error report says as follows LiveKernelEvent . so should i keep this pc? 1 thing that i did do is install that duo core gadget for the sidebar .... is that gadget bad? plz help me !

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hp dv6402 video hardware error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hp dv6402 video hardware error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have You Checked HP for An Updated Graphics Driver?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 8, 2007 2:46 PM PDT
Collapse -
thankz
by leeroybrowwn / July 8, 2007 3:08 PM PDT

its nvida gforce go 6150 ... i had the dv 6401 and it was a celeron m processor and i took it back to cuz there was a sale on the dv6402 that was a amd athlon 64 x2 and it seems to me that the single core processor was faster and ran way less choppy ! am i crazy ? the ram was the same on both models and i thought duo cores were faster .... what do u think?

Collapse -
That 6150 is near the bottom of GPU performers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2007 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: thankz

3D games should run but may have to be set to the lowest of effects and resolution.

I re-read your post and don't see anything wrong here since this is not a gamer's laptop.

Bob

Collapse -
do you know what chess titans is?
by leeroybrowwn / July 9, 2007 1:42 AM PDT

chess titans is a game that comes with vista ! kinda like mine sweepers for xp ! its not a very demanding game ... welll i dont think so any way ! i think this pc runns laggy and its very laggy when playing halo. the 6401 ( celeron m 1.6 ghz single core) played halo and wasnt choppy ... and its not a gamer lappy. i think im gonna return this peice of junk hp ! i guess im just comparing it to the single core and its way less resourceful ! i thought duo cores did stuff 40% faster .......

Collapse -
To compare...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2007 1:49 AM PDT

We have to look at not only the OS but the video chipset. You are right the dual core is usually nicer (double so for Vista) but the fact remains the 6150 is not on the map for games. This is something you choose for your web surfing, DVD playing etc and not gaming.

If you feel the Celeron did better then return it.

But having played on 6150 machines I can't agree that it should "perform."

Bob

Collapse -
I agree with Bob...
by John.Wilkinson / July 9, 2007 2:15 AM PDT

Chess Titans actually is a very graphics-demanding game and not in the same league as Minesweeper, Purple Place, Inkball, or even Mahjong Titans. Integrated graphics will not run it well, and might actually do better with Halo. (Halo is more intensive, but it may still run reasonably well on a lower graphical setting where as Chess Titans will not.) The very mention of 64MB of 'shared' memory is an indicator of it. 128MB is required for decent performance, as is DirectX10 support, and that's still pushing it some since it's integrated graphics and not a standalone graphics card. Since your laptop has a setting to increase it to 128MB I'd do it...it won't put any additional strain on your processor but it will reduce the available RAM by 64MB. If it's not enough to satisfy the games, though, you'll need to look into a gamer's model...laptops are not generally designed for graphical performance or gaming.

John

Collapse -
i agree
by leeroybrowwn / July 9, 2007 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree with Bob...

i have a gaming laptop with 256mb dedicated video. i was just shocked that this duo didnt play halo as good as the single core processor . the graphics on the other laptop was intel and the duo is nvidia same size but i guess intel is just better . im gonna take the laptop back today . i was gonna use this 1 for a second pc so me and my girlfriend dont fight over the computer . the hp dv6401 was $699 1gig ram 120gig hd intel mobile chipset up to 224 mb shared video celeron m @ 1.6ghz. and the hp dv6402 was $799 160 gig hd nvidia gforce go 6150 up to 287mb shared amd athlon 64X2 . i thought i was getting a good deal on a duo core processor for an extra 100 bucks , but all i got was a head ache.........thankz for all the help

Collapse -
well
by leeroybrowwn / July 8, 2007 3:14 PM PDT

i just checked and the driver is up to date .... im just starting to feel very dissapointed with this pcs performance ..... with nothing running even chess titans for vista plays slow and choppy when i set the graphics in the game to max! the video is shared , and it is set to 64mb dedicated in the cmos settings ... it will go to 128 but is that pussing the processer?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.