General discussion

HP DV6 problem

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

I have an HP dv6-1128tx (bought maybe 18 months ago), currently running windows vista. During an upgrade to SP2, the power cable came out, once i plugged the cable back in i was surprised to find that the AC indicator next to the input socket would only light up if the battery was in the machine (reverse of usual behaviour) and regardless of the battery being in the machine, as soon as the adapter was plugged in there was no power.

The adapter will not charge the battery, and now the computer seems to think that when the battery is plugged in it is receiving AC power, when the AC power is plugged in it seems to think that nothing is there.

I have tried this with 2 different adapters so it is definitely the laptop, and I have no charge left in the battery, so I dont know what options I have.

I have also tried holding down the power button for 15 seconds, and removing the motherboard battery and replacing it. Without success.

I tried HP's email service and they never replied.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: HP DV6 problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HP DV6 problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Ideas.

1. Don't use email. It's flooded. Use the phone.
2. Be prepared to reload the OS. No maker today will invest the time to trouble shoot this issue unless the owner will pay by the hour.
3. System restore to when it worked and hope.

- Collapse -
re:ideas

thanks for the advice proffitt,

but is there anyway to restore/reset without turning the power on, as I don't have enough power left in the battery to start up, I would have to find a fully charged battery to try some of these ideas and Im not too sure what I can do in that respect Sad

- Collapse -
Those symptoms

Sound more like a hardware failure. I've had to give short lessons about operating systems to show that it is not an OS issue. For example Windows is on the hard drive. I removed the hard drive and the machine is still not charging the battery which means it's a hardware issue.

"During an upgrade to SP2, the power cable came out" sounds like the old accidently yank on the cord problem. The connectors are not that well attached and the move to lead free solder has not helped here.

Repair from HP will likely have them replacing the motherboard. Get a price on that and decide if it's worth it.

It appears you tried the generic reset noted in this forum's sticky post.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info