PC Hardware forum

HP dv5 nvidia CPU Reflow problem :(

by SincereFaar / August 17, 2012 9:32 PM PDT

1 week ago i opened my HP laptop dv5 cause just wanted to clean the fan. After i started it up again my screen was black, nothing happend and shut down a few times. It gone to worse actually. My screen was also black before i opened it, but at least i could use my laptop, now its useless and wont come to te password screen.

I got advice to heat the CPU with a hairdryer so i bought one and kept it 4 inches away from the CPU, blew warm air for 4 min and then checked if it was working.. well NO!
I heard heating the back of te CPU may also help, ill try this now.. here we go opening again the laptop! Sad

But what can i do more? Sad
It just happend after i opened my laptop one time and i was so careful, so it cant be so bad or unfixable now right??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP dv5 nvidia CPU Reflow problem :(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP dv5 nvidia CPU Reflow problem :(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by SincereFaar / August 17, 2012 9:41 PM PDT

oh i started the laptop again and the black screen was gone, i saw the HP logo and then an error with 'checksum error' or something like this. Then i could choose for F1 or F10. F1 for a sentence with default in it and F10 for Boot, I choose F1 and its now making a system recovery..

Collapse -
by SincereFaar / August 17, 2012 10:44 PM PDT
In reply to: edit...

shut down again.. after i move my screen it generally happends.. what is this??

Collapse -
More than one problem
by Willy / August 17, 2012 10:44 PM PDT
In reply to: edit...

Well, you may have a "broken solder land" or component/item creep where some ICs will disconnect(if socketed) themselves from a good connect. Applying heat may recover some of this, but only for a short time or be more for T/S the actual cause. I wouldn't apply heat as heat is a prime cause of laptop failure. Your error message, was due probably to the CMOS battery either being weak or has become loose in its connection. I would think if this is an old laptop that weak is more likely. The CMOS battery will maintain the bios setting as they were set and for a laptop rarely needs resetting. So, once the laptop recovers, check the status of yours to what you deem is correct. The recovery process, again may have also been the HD being "heat stressed" got data hosed, as heat will expand the data tracks and could lose its proper operation for a short time until it cools. These are all assumptions for now, since you were trying to correct another problem, you may have introduced more with your actions.

HP has its own user forum and check there to see what is anything maybe a common fault. Other users may post similar original problems that maybe similar to yours. You can also post there and see if some HP employee helps. There is also a HP forum here at CNET, query there as well for premise or related topic of HP systems.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
That reflow has to get very hot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2012 11:30 PM PDT

And it's only a last resort, never a sure thing. Some say it works but if not, you have to replace the mainboard.

You would not heat the back of the board. Have you soldered before? If not, you may not know how hot it must get to melt solder and melting solder from the backside would burn the board.

Collapse -
what now?
by SincereFaar / August 18, 2012 12:02 AM PDT

I didnt heat the back of the CPU still cause im just hopeless here. I wish i didnt open my laptop to clean the fan if i knew this would have happend Sad I doesnt make sense to me either how this could happen.
so from now what is the smartest thing to do?
im considering bringing it to service, how much it can cost to fix this problem?

Collapse -
by SincereFaar / August 18, 2012 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: what now?

also heard that a hairdryer does NOT give enough to heat the CPU and melt. What if ill put it closer than 4 inches and longer than 4 min? its not bad to try right?

I just cant handle that i spend 1000 euro on this laptop 3 years ago, not even that old. ive been carefull with it and so many people with the HP dv series are having this problem.. it really blows!
I cant afford any repair on my laptop now and i really need it.. it can only give u a hopeles feeling Sad

Collapse -
Battery life
by Willy / August 18, 2012 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: also..

I offered that the hair dyer wasn't about actually heating any solder but if a broken solder land or solder joint, may allow it to expand enough to make contact. This also helps zero-into the trouble area. However, I do this in reverse and use cooling(freeze) spray to locate such. But, if the cause is a broken or poor solder joint, then an actual re-soldering with an iron in the way to fix it once located.

As for your current problems, why not re-open the laptop and recheck your work. Make sure is connected and fully seated, obvious possible areas. Don't overlook anything or take it for granted, check it with due care.

As for a 3yr. old laptop, have you ever replaced the laptop battery? It maybe time to think about this even if left plugged-in during use. Some laptops need a good battery to maintain decent operation. At the same time some HP laptop users aren't always a happy group. Sad

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Cost. price of the motherboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2012 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: what now?

This is why folk try that one last time.

Collapse -
HP DV5 issues
by Willy / August 18, 2012 3:46 AM PDT

Did a quick google search and it seems there are video problems galore on this model laptop. Just too many users are having video issues and in "black screen" or no video operation, etc.. So, on top of all I posted prior to this post, you may have what many are experiencing. One YouTube post suggests the cable of the video which is located within the LCD bottom maybe a cause of all this. However, that maybe due to the opening and closing and the cable becomes stressed and finally breaks or causes intense resistance for good operation. So, take all this into accounht.

tada -----Willy Shocked

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?