General discussion

HP dv2700 boots to black screen after XP Splash Screen

I've tried the following to fix my laptop:

- booting without the battery and using power cord only.
- holding the power button for 30+ seconds while battery and Power cord is unplugged trick.
- Booting to safemode,last config, etc all freeze up
- Loading my XP disc works but once its gets to "searching for previous versions of windows" it hangs forever.
- Removing the RAM and HD, and re-installing. Still no luck

So i ran the BIOS diagnostic tool on the memory, and it passed. Then i ran the diagnostic tool on the HD, and it failed. So is it safe to say I can go out and buy a new HD, re-install windows, and everything should work?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: HP dv2700 boots to black screen after XP Splash Screen
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HP dv2700 boots to black screen after XP Splash Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I worked on a dv2700 model

And used its restore media. Why not use those supplied disks?

- Collapse -
disks

I don't have 'supplied disks', I have the XP disc and it dosent load as I said

- Collapse -
Then the wrong disk.

See if you can order them from HP and failing that see if Windows 7 is an option. Using the wrong OS CD is like using the spare tire from another car. Usually doesn't fit.
Bob

- Collapse -
OS

I've used XP pro on this laptop for over a year without a single problem. I think this is more hardware related.

- Collapse -
Then

Change the suspect hardware. There are hardware test programs out on the internet (google UBCD.)

Nothing in your post points to anything specific except not using the restore CDs. I didn't know this CD worked before.
Bob

- Collapse -
Sorry.

I was using my past experiences with this model. If the hard disk fails then go ahead and replace that.

But this doesn't mean it will be alright. That is, there is never a rock solid guarantee that it will be fixed. But a very good chance.

I've found replacement drives at geeks.com, amazon.com and newegg.com for not much.
Bob

- Collapse -
HD

I think i'm gona swing by best buy and get a HD. How do I know what type of HD I need to buy that will fit my laptop? The model is HP Dv2700.

- Collapse -
Let's find the product page.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodClassId=-1&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3744394

Ok, we know it's a 2.5 inch drive. If you only have XP PRO (the CD) then we must limit our drive size to 127GB or less (see http://www.48bitlba.com)

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01129734/c01129734.pdf and others seem to note this is an IDE interface which are rare to never found at best buy.

Try Newegg.com or geeks.com

If you have XP PRO SP2 as your CD then you can use a larger drive.
Bob
- Collapse -
1st thing....

have you opened your laptop?

- Collapse -
yes

CNET Forums

Forum Info