General discussion

HP dv1170us

I am considering purchasing this system. My main usage will be with school. I don't do games or plan on installing huge programs. Will this be adequate and is this a sturdy machine to take back and forth from school?

Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: HP dv1170us
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HP dv1170us
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Yeah it's a good little notebook...

I was very pleased with the look and feel of the dv1000 series from HP. I picked up the dv1140us.

The machine is more than adequate for schooling, and great for movies, movies, and internet. Where it really stumbles is video performance for gaming. Since that isn't an issue, you should do well with this machine.

At five pounds, this laptap is meant to travel, but I wouldn't recommend dropping it. It doesn't heat up, battery life is 3+ hours on internet and music, with about 1.5 hours with the dvd drive churning.

Great for the price, check out the hp website for customizing options, and terrific pricing

- Collapse -
One More Question

I am also looking at the HP zv5445us notebook. This is 3.0 ghz but w/ a P4. What is the major difference between the centrino and p4? Is it something that I will notice like night and day? Like I said before, I will mainly be doing school related functions, no gaming.

Thanks for your help!

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) In a nutshell. Heat and battery life.

CNET Forums

Forum Info