Laptops forum

General discussion

HP DV 6000 light bulb and inverter problem

by Frank0858 / May 11, 2010 7:31 AM PDT

Recently I had a problem with the backlighting of my DV 6000 laptop. I solved the problem by changing both the inverter and the light bulb. Now the LCD works properly when I switch the laptop on but after 5 to 10 minutes the screen turns black.
This behaviour repeates every time I reboot the system. I also noticed that the laptop slightly buzzes when the LCD is on and after the said 5 to 10 minutes the noise frequency starts slowing down. Then buzzing and LCD go off at the same time.
Please advice if anybody experienced the same issue. I would like to locate the real issue before buying an extra inverter or bulb. All hints are appreciated Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP DV 6000 light bulb and inverter problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP DV 6000 light bulb and inverter problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are only a few parts involved.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 9:27 PM PDT

The top of this forum plus google tells you enough but here it is. What other parts are involved? (Hint: CCFL tubes and wires.)

But I have grim news. Too many dv6000/dv9000 and a few other models are dropping like flies. My advice is to cut your losses and move on.
These models are WELL DISCUSSED. Your choice to continue the pain.
Bob

Collapse -
HP dv6000 inverter and backlighting problem
by Frank0858 / May 13, 2010 2:26 AM PDT

Thank you Bob. You're probably right and I should buy a better and newer laptop but before doing so at list let me try one time more before giving it up.
So the CCFL tube has been replaced and the inverter board as well. No other part (e.g. wires) has been replaced. I am personally concerned about the inverter since the replacement was an equivalent and not a true HP part number. Of course this is only an opinion
Francesco

Collapse -
It could be just that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2010 4:35 AM PDT

That the replacement suffered the "infant mortality" that you read so much about. It seems the choices are limited to "what next?" One think I would not do is get the same unit from the same vendor.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: I have the same problem with HP dv6000 model
by Pauly81 / May 20, 2010 1:45 PM PDT

it has been a half yr since i left it unfixed. The problem is that the screen is black while the power is still on. if you were successful, could you tell me how you did? is it just the matter of inverter between the panel and video card?

Collapse -
HP DV6000 light bulb and inverter problem
by Frank0858 / May 23, 2010 4:36 AM PDT

Actually I am still thinking on what to do. I mean I'd like to buy another inverter to see the result but before doing that I wanted to wait some time until something new pops up.
So far the behaviour is very consistent and repetitive: 10 minutes after PC switch on the LCD goes black. There is no way to recover but rebooting the system. It is very frustrating.
I was also thinking about some bug within the OS. Maybe somebody may advice.
Anyway I will keep the community posted about the results, if any.
Francesco

Collapse -
How black?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2010 9:50 PM PDT

And does an external display work? The dv6000 is well known in the shops and other places as a problem unit. Maybe it's the known issue and not the inverter?
Bob

Collapse -
Black LCD
by Frank0858 / May 25, 2010 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: How black?

Yes, definitely the PC works perfectly if connected to an external screen. I noticed it the very first time the LCD turned black. At that time the behavior was very stable, in other words the LCD continued to remain black until I decided to change both the light bulb and the inverter. Then the behaviour I described previously appeared. I was not aware of the bug you are referring to in your message. Do you mean that there is a way to solve this issue?
Thank you
Francesco

Collapse -
Easy enough to research.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2010 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Black LCD

DV6000 all by it's lonesome on goggle finds the discussions. I don't duplicate all that. Sorry about that. It's done. Done to death. Thousands of times.

Moving on. HP is changing motherboards.
Bob

Collapse -
DV6000 backlighting problem
by Frank0858 / June 3, 2010 4:03 AM PDT

Hey, I solved the problem! Or better I found the way to go round it.
It was enough to reduce the backlight intensity to nearly 50% to get a stable and continuous LCD performance. It's roughly a week it is running that way.
I definetely was not able to understand the reason of the defect but at least I can still use my PC.
This my little contribution
Francesco

Collapse -
To get the most life from this machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2010 4:08 AM PDT

1. Put it on a cooling pad. At the very least some blocks on the rear to give it more air.

2. DON'T USE IT AS A LAPTOP. Park it on the desk and don't carry it around.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Francis
by Pauly81 / June 8, 2010 6:10 AM PDT

can you write down what you exactly did in numbered forms?
many thx,

Paul

Collapse -
backlighting problem
by Frank0858 / June 9, 2010 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Francis

Paul,

locate on your PC keyboard the keys for increasing or decreasing the backlighting level and simply adjust it!
Francesco

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!