HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows 7 forum

General discussion

HP Dumps support for several Color Laserjets from Windows 7

by MorePissedOff / October 7, 2009 11:50 PM PDT

Full list are LJ 1000, 1010, 1012, 3600, 3500, 3550, 1500, 9850 and 8550 as per the following url ... HP's Windows 7 Laserjet Support page ...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=3463669&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=c01856597

and they clearly state not happening in Windows 7 for these 9 models, yet there are probably upward of a hundred or more models that are supported.

My LJ 3600n is about a year old and has a manufacture date on it of June 2008 (basically new) yet that same support page shows a truly ancient LJ IIp is still supported! Amazing!

HP also did this to me with a scanner when Vista came out, but scanner was some 5 to 6 years old and I didn't argue.

As I stated in a posting in HP's forum ... manufacture date of June 2008, not like I bought some POS laying in the warehouse for a few years and I got what I paid for ... it was brand new from Staples.

I also stated in HP's forum ... I DON'T WANT TO HEAR BS SUPPORT RHETORIC FROM YOU GUYS ... FIX THIS ... and warned them I would shout it from the hills to anyone that would listen that this is not right.

Well HP ... I hope you are listening because the shouting starts here and NOW!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Dumps support for several Color Laserjets from Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Dumps support for several Color Laserjets from Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thank you for letting us know about this
by FrenchyHey / October 12, 2009 4:55 AM PDT

I will one day kill my Brothers Printer MFC-5440CN that work in Win 7 64 bits with full software, altough it use Windows Vista 64 drivers and software without problems and that is nice to know, PS if the software from the manufacturer work without any need of intervention of the manufacturer, drivers and software toghether there is no need to remake them again for the sake to make then logo approved in Win 7.

Most if not all software that are made for Vista will work in Win 7 without problems at all that included most of the drives also.

Collapse -
HP Windows 7 Support is Woeful
by michaelthorson / October 26, 2010 6:50 AM PDT

Agree totally with you. I have the HP 3500, it's 2 years old. No Win 7 Support or Drivers? That's ridiculous for a $3,000 printer that's only 2 years old.

If this is HP's "planned obsolence" strategy, it's worked. HP is now obsolete to me. I will do as they suggest and upgrade my printer. To one offered by a competitor who cares about their customers.

Collapse -
I have a question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2010 6:54 AM PDT

Where do we find staff to write these drivers for the price we want to pay them?

Years ago HP tried to sell updated drivers and the public didn't want to pay. Now we see the fallout.

Those programmers won't work for free and companies won't pay for drivers that don't deliver to the bottom line.

It all makes sense if you take a few steps back.

--> Not buying HP may make you feel better but if you get another printer the story repeats with that next company.

Too bad POSTSCRIPT never gained enough ground to solve this.
Bob

Collapse -
Ummm.. in the $1,000 you pay for the thing?
by michaelthorson / October 26, 2010 8:41 AM PDT
In reply to: I have a question.

Sorry, I had a typo in my first missive, it was $1,000, not $3,000. The assumption when you buy a product like this is that the cost includes software so that it actually works during its life cycle. The life cycle of a $1,000 business printer is not 2 years, it should be on the order of 5. If HP intends to obsolete a product in 2 years, then they should clearly state that upfront so that I can make an informed decision not to buy the product.

You could also divert some of the 60% margins padded into the $80 cost of ink cartridges into service and support, too.

I can think of hundreds of ways to pay for the programmer to make their product actually work. Or hey, how about diverting the resources of the guy who did the Win 7 driver for the ancient and decrepit LJ IIp (when's the last time you saw one of those?) and instead ask him to work on a more recent product?

In any event, HP seems to be the only company that has all these Win 7 driver compatibility issues. I've surfed the boards for major problems with other printers and there always seems to be some fix/workaround that solves it. You never get the "sorry we don't support that product and don't have a new driver for it" stock answer that HP gives.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2010 10:12 AM PDT

My older canon didn't get Windows 7 drivers so away it went. HP tends to get flamed more due to the market share.

Maybe Richard Stallman was right about these software drivers MUST BE FREE and OPEN SOURCE.
Bob

Collapse -
To be honest, I'd pay $10 for a new driver...
by michaelthorson / October 27, 2010 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

...so the thing works and I don't have to buy a whole new printer.

Unfortunately, that was not an option offered to me.

Mike

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.