HP forum

General discussion

HP DeskJet 6940 won't load on Windows 7

by gemac52 / August 21, 2009 4:36 PM PDT

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit RC. Really like it!!
I can't get it to accept my HP 6940 install disc, either the XP version or the Vista 64 bit version.
Any updates going to be forthcoming?
G.E. McCrary

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP DeskJet 6940 won't load on Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP DeskJet 6940 won't load on Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need to know one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2009 3:11 AM PDT

Windows 7 is not released. If you want support, your best move is to an OS that supports this printer.

Collapse -
HP 6940 / Windows 7
by JORENO / April 2, 2010 10:29 AM PDT

I had Vista and upgraded to Windows 7 Professional. HP 6940 quit printing. I know the printer is working because I can print from other computers. HP has no software for Windows 7. I think HP is using this so people will buy new printers. If anyone has a fix, please help!

Collapse -
What to do...
by Willy / April 13, 2010 11:22 PM PDT
In reply to: HP 6940 / Windows 7

Make sure you printer is ON. Now go through the add printer rountine from the device and printers button. Allow it to discover the printer and when found it will ask for drivers and since none are available from HP, allow it to discover them on the www. In doing so, it wull call MS to try the "native drivers", a more generic install, though it could be 100% capable. In other words, the drivers works but maybe limited in NOT providing all the bells and whistles the printer had before. Yeap, that's the way it goes when new OS is used. If none of this works or fails period or you don't like the results, then yes the final real fix is to buy a win7 ready printer.

tada ----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Drivers available
by Willy / April 13, 2010 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: HP 6940 / Windows 7
Collapse -
DeskJet 6940 Win7
by yakubu4 / March 10, 2012 10:07 PM PST
Collapse -
DeskJet 6940 Win7
by halobest / September 5, 2012 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: DeskJet 6940 Win7
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?