Computer Help forum

General discussion

HP computer system recovery

by mopscare42 / May 4, 2009 8:34 AM PDT

I have a HP7330n computer that I will be giving to my Grand Daughter when I get a new computer.
The computer had XP when I bought it, but I upgraded to Vista Home Premium.
I would like to do a system recovery to get it back to the original configuration before giving it to her.
My question is, when I do the recovery what will it go back to? She does want to keep Vista.
I still have the Vista upgrade disc.
When I shut it down and do a restart, it comes up with a screen that asks if I want it to start in Windows Vista or a previous version of Windows. If I just leave it, it starts in Vista.
I have done system recovery before, but am confused on this one.
Thanks in advance
Wayne

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP computer system recovery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP computer system recovery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mixed OSes
by Willy / May 4, 2009 9:12 AM PDT

When you did the Vista upgrade it kept the old XP OS in some saved area.
I suspect, you will find it by going to the add/remove feature and see if XP is present.

If you have both recovery XP and the Vista upgrade, then you can use either DBAN or Killdisk(google for them) to totally wipe out the HD. Do this only if you have the CDs/discs fore mentioned, if not you probably have a hidden partition for system recovery. HP is very helpful in this whole process, visit the support website and review such details. The startup is suggesting you have some "dual boot" menu, but you didn't mentioned that wording, is that the case?

If you totally delete/wipeout the HD, then it is clean. You can start the Vista install with upgrade disc, when it asks for XP(previous OS) place CD in and it will verify old version to continue install. That way, only the Vista OS will be present once all is done. Otherwise for XP as the lone OS, then again wipeout HD, and do a XP recovery provided you have the recovery CD. Come back with details if hidden partition.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
The Recovery Discs Or Partition Will Take It To Windows XP..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 4, 2009 9:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Mixed OSes

HP's recovery options will take it back to its factory state.. If you choose to upgrade to Vista, you'll need to do so after using the recovery options.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Willy and Griff

Thanks guys.
That answered my question.
I have both recovery discs for XP and the upgrade for Vista so will follow your directions.
I had wanted to wait for the release of Windows 7 before I bought a new computer, but she needs a computer now and I am doing things that require a faster computer so will get something with i7 processor now and do the upgrade when I can get the Windows 7 upgrade.
Thanks Again
Wayne

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.