Laptops forum

General discussion

HP compaq nx9420 refuses booting.?

by arred / March 5, 2010 9:19 AM PST

XP professional centrino duo 2 ghz and 1gb ram.Cannot boot in windows I tried linux it won`t boot, cannot boot in safe mode. Pulled hard drive connected another one, the same thing happens. Can only get to bios memory tester in bios showed test pass, won`t boot cds or usbs, so I can`t reinstall windows or format the disk, I`m out of ideas, any help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP compaq nx9420 refuses booting.?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP compaq nx9420 refuses booting.?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Slim details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2010 5:43 AM PST

Since no error messages I take it the CDs never boot (USB too.) Many CD drives lose the boot capability as they age and we all know the Windows can get damaged and not boot but that's not a hardware issue.

When I see your story I know to pull out the shop USB DVDRW drive and try a boot from that. Some tinkering may be needed in the BIOS to do that which I won't cover here.

My guess is the machine is over a year old and needs at least a new DVDRW drive.
Bob

Collapse -
by MysticalTux / May 27, 2010 3:50 AM PDT

Hey Arred,

Have you been able to resolve your problem?

I'm having the exact same problem. I've ran HDD and RAM checks, all passed. I've swapped new RAM chips with no lucj. No idea what to do next.

Collapse -
Since the ideas presented here don't help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2010 4:42 AM PDT

You may want to price out what this will run at repair counters and hp.com. I found the USB DVDRW to be a cheap exit.
Bob

Collapse -
Boot
by MysticalTux / May 27, 2010 4:54 AM PDT

Thx Bob,

Actually I found the problem. I was using a power supply purchased on Ebay. When I had the laptop plugged in, the CPU was sky rocking. Even in the BIOS it worked very sluggish, as soon as I pull the power cord out it responds normal. No wonder it was booting into windows for hours...lol

Wrong voltage was being sent, which forced the CPU to low power mode.

I have to find an original power supply.

Thanks again,

Collapse -
Chalk it up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2010 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Boot

The advice in the forums for batteries and power is to stick with the maker's gear. But then again, some will try it and learn why this is the advice here.
Bob

Collapse -
A Disk read error occurred(Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart)
by anwar_raaj / October 13, 2010 3:49 AM PDT

i am try to start our laptop,aftr on the laptop every time show te error A Disk read error occurred(Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart).pls comment required

Collapse -
Re: disc read error
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 13, 2010 3:52 AM PDT

Please start your own thread in stead of piggybacking on an unrelated one. You get much more attention then.

Kees

Collapse -
I'd start a new thread.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2010 3:54 AM PDT

Also tell why a new hard drive didn't fix this?

Collapse -
HP Compaq booting problems
by michelsmith / September 25, 2011 8:42 PM PDT

Hi,

If the battery of the HP laptop is not in a good condition, sometimes booting problems might happen. To remove any static charges accumulated in the battery, you would have to remove the battery and press the Power button for about 25-35 seconds. Then reset the battery. Even after this, if your laptop is not booting up then you could perform the battery calibration and press F8 key to boot in safe mode.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?