Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

HP CD wont play

by joker4440 / June 16, 2006 8:46 PM PDT

Well I have just got an Ipaq h5550. I can't get the Installation CD to work. Auto play wont work. I've tried right-clicking and clicking the Autoplay but nothing happens. The only thing I can do is right-click open. The CD opens up the files...but no Auto play. I've been into properties and everything seems to be fine. I tried the CD on my laptop and it worked fine, but on my Desktop all I get is a...''popup blocked by Google Toolbar'' messege...even though internet explorer isn't even open!!!
Question...why is google blocking the CD???? Strange don't you think??!!

Both my DVD players play everything else I have just fine. Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP CD wont play
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP CD wont play
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some CD's do this
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 16, 2006 9:05 PM PDT
In reply to: HP CD wont play

if they have security measures included.

I see the HP Ipaq h5550 is a hand-held device or PDA.

Why does it need a CD, and why do you need to load the CD into a PC? Excuse my ignorance, but I have never used a PDA or similar device.

If the file structure on the CD is such that there is no recognisable file on the root directory, then possibly Windows doesn't know which autoplay option to select.

EG, if the CD has folders only on the root directory, and any exe, video or music files are inside a folder, Autoplay may not be able to make a suitable choice.

Just clutching at straws here. Perhaps someone else will have a better idea.

Mark

Collapse -
setup.exe
by sheilakmcd / June 16, 2006 9:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Some CD's do this

It's probably software that came with the pda to allow syncing to the pc.

When browsing the files on the cd, you need to find and click setup.exe instead of autoplay for the cd to run.

If Google Toolbar is blocking it for some reason, go into the Google Toolbar options and uncheck the pop-up blocker. You can turn it back on when you are done.

Collapse -
SETUP
by joker4440 / June 16, 2006 9:31 PM PDT
In reply to: setup.exe

Setup doesn't work either. Google keeps blocking it. I disabled the popup blocker and still google is blocking the program. I de-selected google from the Toolbar option so now Google is 'gone'...and it's still blocking. This is really strange.

I remember that when I tried the CD in my laptop I got a message that the CD has Active X on it. I was asked if I wanted to proceed...I selected 'yes'. I'm not getting that option on my desktop. On the other hand, isn't Active x associated with Internet Explorer??

Collapse -
Advanced internet options
by sheilakmcd / June 16, 2006 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: SETUP

You might try going to Internet Options, Advanced, and uncheck Allow 3rd party browser extensions, and check Allow active content to run from CD's and see if that helps. And check out your security options for activex, and see if you can loosen those up, temporarily.

Be sure to put everything back like it was when you are finished.

If all else fails, you could uninstall the Google Toolbar, and then reinstall it when you're done.

Collapse -
IE pop-up blocker
by sheilakmcd / June 16, 2006 10:18 PM PDT

Internet Explorer has it's own pop-up blocker, also. Have you turned it off? Are you running any other software that blocks pop-ups?

Collapse -
CD
by joker4440 / June 16, 2006 9:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Some CD's do this

oops...sorry I didn't mention that it was a PDA!!! Well the CD is to install the software onto my Desktop. The PDA will be able to synchronize with my desktop. There are a lot of other programs on the CD too. I can't tell what they are until I install them. I think there is a tutorial and owners manual too. Anyway, I'm sure it's stuff i might need. I guess I could always install everything through the right click option...then delete what I don't need. Do you think I could possibly 'miss' anything if I manually install the programs?

Collapse -
S'ok :)
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 16, 2006 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: CD

As Sheila says, you should look for a setup.exe program on the CD.

It's difficult to say otherwise because not all programs may be suitable. If you Open the CD and look at what folders and files are listed first, is there any thing like "Install", or "Setup", or similar?

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
If it is the desktop
by glb613 / June 16, 2006 10:30 PM PDT
In reply to: CD
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?