Laptops forum

General discussion

Hp Battery and Hard Drive problem

I have a HP dv5220us with a 12-lithium ion battery for 2yrs now and over the summer the i had i crashed twice ... when i tired to install the windows xp cd its says that no hard drive was found. I got a tech. to look at it and they are telling me to buy a new battery, because my current one has like very lifetime on it, and my ac adapter has a electrical "short".

So my question is should a spend money and get a new battery and an ac adapter or these have nothing to do with my dead hard drive.. or should i get i new computer and just give up on this one.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hp Battery and Hard Drive problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hp Battery and Hard Drive problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Battery life is some 18 months.

In reply to: Hp Battery and Hard Drive problem

Look at the battery specs and you find some 300 cycles or about 18 months per battery. So when you bought the machine you are buying into a new battery every few years if you want to run on the battery.

As to cost, your decision on that but there is nothing wrong with a battery that needs replacing every 2 years.

The hard disk is a SATA hard disk which can explain why XP doesn't see it. Can you remember what you did to install XP last time?
http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.memorySearch3&model_id=59235

You'll find discussions about the SATA BIOS setting all over but telling more about your XP CD vs. your HP restore CDs can remove the mystery.
Bob

Collapse -
xp cd... hard drive SATA BIOS???

In reply to: Battery life is some 18 months.

well i didnt install it my self i technician friend of mine did it but i can get it back to the same person..... the back up cd just wont work.. the 1st time it crashed it wont even recognize them but this time im seeing the back up menu but i dont.. either my 2nd cd wasnt burned right or something but it keeps on rejecting my 2nd backup cd.

i have friend with a similar model hp so im going to put her battery in with the adapter and see is there is anything better going on 2morrow. so ill update u and tell u if anything new happens and decide if i should by the battery and adapter. if i do need to buy them do u know of any reliable websites with good prices that i can order them from?

Thanks, Shiki

Collapse -
Links for you.

In reply to: xp cd... hard drive SATA BIOS???

Collapse -
Manuals at link.

In reply to: Hp Battery and Hard Drive problem

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!