PC Hardware forum

General discussion

HP All-in-one

by loren / October 24, 2004 10:56 PM PDT

I hope someone can help with this. I have looked everywhere on the Net and have found nothing about it.

I am wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with a PC taking ten minutes or longer to boot up with a HP printer attached to the USB port.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 series PC running Windows XP Home. It is a year old.

I also have a HP 2175 or something on that order. It is an all in one.

Here is the problem. First, without the printer attached to the PC through a USB port the PC boots up just fine. But if I have the Printer plugged in The POST runs fine but just before the OS loads the computer hangs for about 10 minutes and has just a cursor blinking in the upper left hand corner. Eventually it will boot into windows but it takes forever.
I never get any warnings from the system saying that there is anything bad with the printer or the USB port but when I look in the device manager in Windows with the printer plugged in I have a "USBnull HPO08" by the USB ports???
If I look in the "show printers" window on the system I can see the printer and it says it is online and ready??

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP All-in-one
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP All-in-one
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A pure WAG, but since it is a
by Ray Harinec / October 26, 2004 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: HP All-in-one

"all in one" it is possible during boot that the system is trying to install the drivers for the other functions and don't find them and finally give up.

You should probably remove the printer drivers from add/remove and then go up in safe mode and get into device manager to see what it shows for printers and it's other functions. Remove all of them. Then unplug the unit from the USB port. Reboot in safe mode and check Device manager to see what it shows re these devices [shouldn't be any] and what it shows for the USB.

Usually these devices should not get plugged into the USB port until the drivers have been installed.

I hope that Toni Hackler checks in here to add her thoughts.

Note that you didn't tell us what operating system you are using. Knowing that may allow other troubleshooting inputs.

I am a weak crutch to lean on and hope that by replying I will bring your post to the top of the page and you get additional help.

Good Luck.

Collapse -
Re: A pure WAG, but since it is a
by loren / October 26, 2004 10:39 PM PDT

Thank you Ray,
The machine that this is happening to is an XP home version of Windows.

It is a mystery. That is for sure, I thought I would get a few more responses.

I am going to post in Peripherals, that is probably the place I should be asking this question anyway.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
With XP you have some help available.
by Ray Harinec / October 26, 2004 11:29 PM PDT

There is Event Viewer, Bootlog text file, and boot ini log. In these you can see what is causing the computer to delay so long during the boot.

Collapse -
Re: With XP you have some help available.
by loren / October 27, 2004 7:14 AM PDT

Thank you, I will try that.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I gave you a link in the other forum that you posted in
by Ray Harinec / October 27, 2004 7:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: HP All-in-one
by Jim41 / October 27, 2004 7:54 AM PDT

Don't know why connecting the hardware would make a difference, but on mine just loading the associated software made bootup very slow... though only about 3 minutes, not 10. What I did was to uncheck the box in MSCONFIG that starts the software and then put a button in the tray. However I did install the Windows default printer driver for the all-in-one. Now when I need to print, which is most of the time, the unit is ready right now. On those occasions when I need to scan, I click on the "HP Director" button and do something else while all that software loads.

Collapse -
Re: HP All-in-one
by Kees Bakker / October 27, 2004 7:58 AM PDT

Loren,

- Did you ask Dell and HP? I'm rather sure Dell says it's an HP error, and HP says it's a Dell problem, but you might be lucky.
- Is this still the original Dell configuration as you bought it, or did you happen to reinstall the OS without installing all motherboard drivers? That might give rise to mysterious USB errors, like this.
- Did you try to buy a simple PCI USB card and connect the printer to that? That circumvents the motherboard drivers.
- What happens if you power down the printer (with the on/off button or even disconnect the power, which might make a difference) and then boot. Presumable fast. Only then power up the printer. Can't tell if it will help, but it's quickly tested and a possible win of 10 minutes.
- Does this printer happen to have a parallel port. Not likely, with modern printers, but if it has, try it.
- A google search for USBnull HPO08 gives two hits, one of them an HP support site for all-in-ones. Did you study that? Also try Google groups.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.