General discussion

HP A/C Adapter for Dell Inspiron Laptop

Sep 23, 2009 10:50AM PDT

I recently bought an HP "Notebook 90W Smart AC Adapter" for my Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop, since it was the least expensive one available at the time. Will this adapter work in my laptop? The problem is that my 9-cell battery is rated for 11.1 volts, while the original power supply that is available for my brand of laptop is also 90 Watts. I don't want to risk plugging it in and damaging my computer.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: HP A/C Adapter for Dell Inspiron Laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HP A/C Adapter for Dell Inspiron Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
No.
Sep 23, 2009 11:05AM PDT

Until exact part numbers are supplied the answer is no, don't use it.

- Collapse -
Dell inspiron Laptop Adapter
Nov 16, 2009 2:04AM PST
- Collapse -
Do you check the details
Nov 17, 2009 4:20PM PST

For the replacement adapter,in the electronic way,if the three status in the same,the HP charger can be use on the DELL machine,
1.the voltage
2.the current
3.the output port(pay attention to this point.

- Collapse -
why use Hp Adapter if can Get Dell Adapter
Nov 17, 2009 6:50PM PST

my point was this,why buy hp adapter if you can get dell Adapter ...

yes - i agree all the 3 option you mention . Hp adapter can work with Dell laptop if all these 3 option you mention earlier are same.

thanks

- Collapse -
This won't work long. Here's why.
Nov 17, 2009 10:33PM PST

The days of adapters always working if the power specs were right are numbered. The reason in the states is the liability issues. Look no further than the laptop battery issues and fires and the makers have begun to put digital ID chips in the batteries and now we see some laptops that only accept the maker's power supplies.

Scream if you must but it had to happen as no one can take the hit on product liability when the non-maker battery or power supply is used. That is, who's at fault?
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info