Desktops forum

General discussion

HP 9080n heat issues?

by KurtisHarrison / January 7, 2010 8:37 AM PST
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-12133156-12133158-12133158-12133158-80631744-81049172.html

Hi there. I own a HP 9080n and have never had any problems up until the past 2 days. As of late my pc will restart without any warnings or crash errors.... Sometimes it'll restart and let me run it for a while before restarting again, other times it'll get stuck in a restart loop before it can even boot up windows. I am assuming its because my computer may be running too hot. I'm using SIW to monitor my temperatures...

this is what it currently reads with the side panel removed to help ventilation :

Sensor Value Min Max
KURTIS-PC
Fintek F8000
Voltages
VIN0 1.68 V 1.67 V 1.69 V
VIN1 1.70 V 1.70 V 1.70 V
VIN2 1.65 V 1.64 V 1.65 V
Temperatures
TMPIN0 45
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP 9080n heat issues?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP 9080n heat issues?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: HP 9080n heat issues?

Fan detection, speed reporting is a new thing. It is still common to find a fan that isn't being monitored. Since fans are easy to replace, test and such why not fix that? Also since there are ways to control speed with thermostatic feedback, why not do that?

Link -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118217

So the usual advice for heat issues repeats a lot so let's do that.

1. Do this -> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-6240575-1.html
2. Pull the heatsinks, clean off the compound, get new compound, apply, button it all up.
3. In a pinch? Leave the case cover off. (which you did.)

Collapse -
regarding HS
by KurtisHarrison / January 7, 2010 10:08 AM PST
In reply to: Just a comment.

Thanks for the response, I have yet to read the links you posted... However I just wanted to add I have already removed/cleaned my HS and added new thermal grease to it, and I have had the restart issue again since doing that.

Now off to read your links ^^

Collapse -
Starting to sound like
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 11:37 AM PST
In reply to: regarding HS

Some machine problem.

The problem is not always heat. but there is a test for that and here it is.

-> Find a 19 to 22 inch BOX FAN and point that at the open case. Run it at full tilt and play the games or such.

If it restarts then we know it's either a really bad problem of some part that is really twitchy or the usual BIOS, DRIVERS, OVERCLOCKED machine or RAM the owner added later that isn't quite compatible.

It doesn't nail it but did you look at hp.com and see if the BIOS has been updated?
Bob

Collapse -
Have you looked at this....
by VAPCMD / January 7, 2010 10:17 AM PST
Collapse -
thanks for the replys
by KurtisHarrison / January 7, 2010 11:00 AM PST

Thank you again for the reply, I have tried rivatuner as well as speedfan (mentioned in OP). Rivatuner only lists 3 options, They are "standard 2D" (62%) , "low power 3d" (62%) and "Performance 3D" (100%), and the only one it allows me to change is "Performance 3D" and I changed it to 100%

I'm mainly wondering if I do have a fan inside my pc that may be dead that I am just unaware of, It's stock from store, and I've tried reading through my documentation, but I am unable to find any mention of how many fans I should have...

As far as purchasing new fans, It is a step I will eventually take, But I currently can't afford to purchase any, So if its as simple as a dead fan, then I can try to fix it ^^

Collapse -
Maybe it would be worthwhile to reapply thermal paste
by VAPCMD / January 7, 2010 11:35 AM PST
In reply to: thanks for the replys

to the GPU heatsink fan...that's running real hot....

My HDDs run at 26 C ...one is a 10K RPM, 4 cores are (value) 24C - 31C and 29C to 34C - 37C max and the GPU is 40C MAX .... TEMPIN0 = 33C, 1 and 2 are 25C and 19C respectively.

Let us know how it goes.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
regarding GPU HS
by KurtisHarrison / January 7, 2010 11:41 AM PST

I'm thinking about taking my computer back to the store I purchased it from, I have an extended warranty that I believe should cover my issue, The only thing that may possibly void my warranty is my re application of thermal grease to my main HS, however I doubt they'd figure out I did it, or if it came like that... But if they don't cover my problem I will get some more thermal grease and apply it to my GPU HS... Seems to me that I have tried everything I should of, short of going out and buying more fans etc... thanks very much for all the reply's and I'll keep checking back here just in case ^^

Collapse -
Missed a reply
by KurtisHarrison / January 7, 2010 11:52 AM PST
In reply to: regarding GPU HS

Just realized I missed a reply... My pc is not overclocked in any way, nor has anything been added to it at all, let alone within the past 4 days (which is when the issue started). I am going to dig my box fan out and point it at my pc to see what happens, I haven't had any crashes today, but we'll see how that goes. As far as the bios goes, I'm really unsure. My computer came as a vista when I purchased it, But I did a dual boot of XP and that is what I am always running... Issue is, it doesn't look like HP supports my pc with XP, and I had serious issues finding proper drivers for my system when I did the Dualboot. If I had done the change recently, however its been almost a year since I made the change, and the problem is just occurring. Furthermore, the HP site says not to update bios from the mobo makers site, so I am not really sure what I should do as far as that.

Collapse -
Ok....try running it with the side off and see how that
by VAPCMD / January 7, 2010 12:00 PM PST
In reply to: regarding GPU HS

affects the temps.

Good to hear you're still under warranty ....they can fix is sooner or later.

Keep us posted.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Grabbed my fan
by KurtisHarrison / January 7, 2010 12:18 PM PST

I dug out my fan from storage, I got it blowing on full at my pc with the side off, I have it blowing on a slight angle to get a flow through the PC... Big difference in my temps

currently

Sensor Value Min Max
KURTIS-PC
Fintek F8000
Voltages
VIN0 1.68 V 1.67 V 1.68 V
VIN1 1.70 V 1.70 V 1.70 V
VIN2 1.63 V 1.63 V 1.64 V
Temperatures
TMPIN0 35

Collapse -
Good to hear... and agree, the temps look much better.
by VAPCMD / January 7, 2010 1:00 PM PST
In reply to: Grabbed my fan

Was all that stuff incl the GPU in the system when you bought it ?

Are all the case fans working ?

Here's a place you could check to see the many different fans available . . . their different sizes, CFM, noise levels, etc..

http://www.coolerguys.com/fans.html

VAPCMD

Collapse -
yes
by KurtisHarrison / January 7, 2010 3:20 PM PST

everything in the computer currently is stock, the only thing I ever changed was the dual boot to XP. Thanks for the link, getting some very good ideas for when I get some money.

Collapse -
Ok....good. Keep us posted as you progress on
by VAPCMD / January 8, 2010 3:58 AM PST
In reply to: yes

getting the TEMPS down and KEEPING IT COOL !

Better heat dissipation definitely required.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
HP 9080n heat issues?
by MMMarvis / January 17, 2010 3:56 AM PST

I had a similar issue with crashing and rebooting.
But it turned out to be the Crucial Ballista memory that was matched to my e6100.
Actually it didn't match.

But 4 odd sticks of mismatched pc 3200 cured it.

If you swapped memory this could be the problem too???

still learning new things

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?