Peripherals forum

General discussion

HP 6840 Printer

by mbcowan / March 21, 2009 11:54 AM PDT

After several years of satisfactory operation, my HP 6840 has started shutting itself off every ten or 15 minutes.

I use it in Wi-Fi mode. I have two desktops (one running XP, the other VISTA 32) and two laptops (one running XP and one running VISTA 64) which print through this printer, using the Wi-Fi router and/or WAP node.

HP told me to deselect an option in the "properties" screen which provides an auto-off. Strangely, the option did not appear on most of my computers or was grayed out when it did. I selected "no" when possible. No help.

I tried correcting the situation by resetting the printer to the factory defaults and reinstalling the drivers. Still shuts off. I turned off all of the computers and Wi-Fi equipment, so that the printer was the only device on, and nothing was connected to it by wire or Wi-Fi. It still shut itself off after 15 minutes or so.

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP 6840 Printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP 6840 Printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd move on.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2009 1:08 PM PDT
In reply to: HP 6840 Printer

This type printer usually is good for a few years then repair, support exceeds replacement costs. I see it came out in 2004 so maybe it's time.

Collapse -
HP 6840 Printer
by mbcowan / March 22, 2009 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd move on.

I hate junking equipment unless absolutely necessary--this stuff adds too much to the environmental trash piles--especially before exploring for simple solutions like a software patch or the like. (I have an HP 4P that I bought in 1993 that still runs pretty well and costs only a fraction of the current printers to operate.)

The 6840 is actually a pretty good printer--better than many of the current batch of HP printers that I have tried and returned to HP. (HP still has not really produced drivers fully compatible with VISTA.)

So I'm still hoping that someone has had this problem before and has figured out the solution.

Collapse -
Then ask HP how much to fix it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2009 4:14 AM PDT

I hear you but it doesn't change the fact these are just short lived products. If you can't print over some USB or ethernet connection then it's gone. If people don't want 2 year printers they will stop buying them?

-> Just so we're covered. Do all the self tests on the printer.

Collapse -
HP 6840 Printer
by mbcowan / March 22, 2009 11:24 AM PDT

I have run every self-test I can identify, with no apparent answers.

My experience with HP is that asking for help after the warranty runs out is pretty useless. For 4 year old products, HP won't offer to repair a product even if you are willing to pay for it.

Nevertheless, I did try the on-line help feature. I got a lot of responses from HP, each one inconsistent with the others and none of them of any use. (When I told one HP support rep that the WAP was in the attic, he asked me "what is an attic?").

I can--and will- continue to use this printer, but I will have to re-locate it next to the desk-top computer so I can turn it on manually each time I want to use it. It could run another 10 years in this mode. However, it will be impractical to print to it from the other desktop, and from the laptops unless I am sitting next to the printer with the laptop. (I have other printers in the house to use with the other computers.)

So, junking it is not an option. I would still like to figure out a fix for the unwanted shut-offs.

Collapse -
I hear you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2009 12:16 PM PDT

But there are so few user replaceable parts that its not funny. You sound as if you reset the printer and more.

But let's toss out this nugget.

What have you done about Vista's BROADCAST FLAG?

Why I ask is it is wrecking havoc with many WIFI devices. For me, I turn that off and to help me avoid the issue of neighborhood interference I use our Network Forum sticky suggestions for setup. (SSID broadcast on, WPA, etc.)

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?