Question

HP 6550b - Replaced HHD with SSD and Network Adapter Gone!?

Hi Guys, I have a copy of 7 Pro and it installed ok. Did act a bit strange during the installation but I got it up and running. No connectivity which I chased down in Device Manager as complete absence of Network Adapter. I was able to use a data transfer device and see the adapter from the old HHD but it will not transfer in by USB so I'm stumped. I have Spectrum WiFi at my home but all I get right now on this Laptop is what appears to be "do you want to dial again?" Huh? Is this the 1990's?

Discussion is locked
Answer
Follow
Reply to: HP 6550b - Replaced HHD with SSD and Network Adapter Gone!?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HP 6550b - Replaced HHD with SSD and Network Adapter Gone!?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
No, it's Windows.

Driver Hell is a real thing. So let's go over the post W7 install work. I'll use:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-probook-6550b-notebook-pc/4173845

1. Head to HP.com and get to the page of drivers for W7 and your model.
2. You'll need the motherboard chipset package.
3. After that I would install the audio, ME, HOTKEY SUPPORT, then the WiFi driver.

I can NOT tell you exactly which WiFi driver as HP used a few models.

On my HP 6560b there's a WiFi on/off button just above the 10 key pad's Insert button too.

- Collapse -
Thanks for the response...

I'll try that...

- Collapse -
Update to Driver Hell!

Ok I did not find any network drivers with text pertaining to Spectrum's Sage routers but chose what looked like it may work and it did not. Also downloaded and installed chip-set and that took but still no network anything in device manager. Could not locate anything like the ME.HOTKEY you mentioned so the mystery deepens...

- Collapse -
ME was

The Intel Management Engine. Under the keyboard driver area the first item here was "HP HotKey Support."

I worry that you are just new to this hot place.

- Collapse -
Hot Place?

- Collapse -
I have to ask.

Why would we see something about Spectrum's Sage Router? All Windows PCs would have drivers for the PC and none for a router.

The problem I see today is that most folk are jarred when they learn just how archaic the Windows system is. Even Windows 10 has me doing such work on a clean install.

- Collapse -
Thanks for the response...

I mention everything which I deem germane to my situation in order to discover the technical data I need to remedy my problem.
Why would you ask why and focus on semantics instead of
realizing that in all likelihood, you must know a great deal more
about this stuff than those of us who come here and post questions.

- Collapse -
Re: network adapter

It looks like this machines is some 8 years old, so it could be a hardware issue also.

Things to try:
1. Clone your old harddisk to the new SSD.
2. Use the recovery discs that came with the laptop 8 years ago or that you made then.

If there are no hardware issues a new install of Windows with all drivers should work also, but maybe you didn't do it correctly. The 2 methods above circumvent that.

- Collapse -
It's also a small world.

It's a small world that we have two HP 6560b's in the office so we know where the drivers are.

As to technical responses I fear I can't do better as HP's web site does not give up a link to the Windows 7 collection of drivers but just the page where you put in the OS and then a list but it's not expanded so you have to expand each area to see the drivers under each group.

What this means is that a new user to both the Driver Hell issues must also be adept at navigating the HP web site.

That's on you to dig in and deal with. I did not create these problems but thankfully I can offer some guiding text about it.

Sometimes folk demand a step by step, screenshots and a YouTube video to boot. But this is pretty generic work which as you are not the IT or tech must step up and get in there.

-> See Kees reply since there's always another way and I'm repeating here I've lost count how many times the owner missed the on/off button or switch for the WiFi.

Post was last edited on May 31, 2019 10:52 AM PDT

CNET Forums