HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

HP 530 Laptop Heating Issue.

by apoorvasheth / October 10, 2009 3:14 AM PDT

Respected All,

Hi There! Off lately, I got my HP 530's LCD screen replacement by paying money due to some Warranty issues. Now, the HP Service Centre in Mumbai has done the LCD Screen replacement and says that also the cleaning & servicing work has been done. Once I bought my HP 530 Laptop back home, I started using it and noticed that my laptop now starts getting heated from the bottom at much faster speed within no time than it used to before. Also, when I ran a tool known as "Intel Processor Identification Utility" on this laptop, I see that System Bus has been reported to being overclocked. So, I went to BIOS and got all the setting back to default by Pressing F10 key within BIOS. After this, I restarted my computer and again ran the same utility but this time, it reports that the System Bus is now fine and NOT Overclocked. However, the heating issue underneath still continues.

This heating is immensely happening exactly in an area under the ventilation fan and at the side compartment near to Ventilation fan from the bottom of the laptop. Now, I believe that this area should be the processor compartment. Therefore, I checked out the bottom Ventilation area (Circle Shaped) with the torch light and found that the Fan is not moving at all even though the laptop is getting heated. However, when I talked to HP Service Centre, he says that the Fan rotation is an automatic function which will only rotate once the system starts getting heated and what I am experiencing at the moment is Normal heating but I don't accept that since it is heating much more than expected.
And it is much wired to accept that when in Desktop PC, the moment the computer is Turned ON, the Power Supply Fan starts rotating than why not the same in HP530 Laptop. Also, HP service centre mentioned that keeping the laptop in continuous charge mode can also increase the heating but I believe that once the battery gets charged to 100%, then there is an automatic "Cut Off" and the laptop should work directly work on Alternate Current and I used to keep it connected before as well in last year but such heating never used to happen. So, I have a question to ask here:

a) When a fan isn't rotating in a laptop from the side and down ventilation, than how safe is it to still continue using the laptop? Can it affect the CPU & Motherboard?

b) It is true that once the battery gets charged completely, the Power cord should be disconnected or is it safe to continue on the Alternate Current (AC) as well? Can working on Alternate Current damage the laptop's Motherboard, CPU or any other compontent?

Kindly help me out please.....Thanks!

Regards,
Apoorva.

Computer Specs:
CPU/Ram: Intel Core Duo 2.161 GHz / 2037 MB
Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
Product: Hewlett-packard / Hp 530 notebook pc(kp476aa#abu)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP 530 Laptop Heating Issue.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP 530 Laptop Heating Issue.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You bet and that's a good thing!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 3:47 AM PDT

This same effect was noted after repairing a few desktops where the owners didn't put heatsink compound on the heatsink. After it was fixed some owners complained the heatsink was running hotter.

All is as it should be. Since it's not busted and as it should be, I'll stop here.
Bob

Collapse -
Nonsense Answer!
by apoorvasheth / October 17, 2009 5:44 PM PDT

Dear R. Proffitt:

You mentioned:
"Since it's not busted and as it should be..."

Very Stupid Answer! So, you want me to work on my HP 530 Laptop while the Fan insn't working and than wait while both the CPU & Motherboard gets busted! Nonsense!

Could anybody over here help me with an effective solution please?

How about using a Laptop cooling pad such as a Belkin / Coolermaster Laptop Cooling Pad? Does it remarkably reduce the temperature of the Laptop heat?

Regards,
Apoorva.

Collapse -
I understand your ire.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2009 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Nonsense Answer!

That sort of reply will not get you help as you call other people names.
I understand your ire and will carry on ONLY if there are no more name callings. Any flame and your post gets locked.

-> If it was recently repaired you have a warranty issue. If they claim its working proper then in my experience this is true better than 1/2 the time and the effect of fixing a heatsink does result in owners claiming it's running hotter. That's a fact.

But there are other factors that I could bring up such as a changed BIOS that doesn't kick in the fan as soon but your post's details would not have me write about that.

There is also the item about the CPU load. If it's now running at 100% then heat is unavoidable in these designs. Fix? Find out why the CPU is at 100% and fix that.

Of course a laptop cooler is a good idea.
Bob

Collapse -
Read the heatsink guide.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2009 11:40 PM PDT

"Why does my CPU get hotter after I used thermal compound?

It doesn't - in no case your CPU get hotter after you applied thermal compound. However, you might think that it gets hotter, because the heatsink gets hotter. A hotter heatsink means better thermal conductivity between the CPU and the heatsink. The CPU itself will be cooler."
http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=compound.shtml

Collapse -
fan not working
by artanbori / October 18, 2009 6:32 PM PDT

sounds like techs didn't connect fan properly

1 try taking out fan and check all the fan exits - make sure no big fat plug of dust from tech desktop has got in to disrupt working

2 check connector/connection is correct plugged in correctly
still not working?

3 get new fan

still not working?

take back to techs and explain nicely that one of their guys seems to have shorted out your motherboard you have urgent tasks to complete
they should suggest new motherboard or even machine - you still under warranty right??

Collapse -
HP 530 New Fan spinning at higher speed, CPU Temp - 101 Degr
by apoorvasheth / December 29, 2009 3:00 PM PST
In reply to: fan not working

Hello All,

Recently, I got my HP 530 Laptop's internal Fan replaced with a newer (Original) one. Now, here are the issues I am facing at the moment after this Internal Fan replacement:

a) The Internal Cooling Fan just keeps rotating at an extreme higher speed the moment I start with any basic task like playing music and surfing the internet with 2-3 tabs opened in IE Browser.

b) Since it rotates at much higher speed (I can feel the air pressure being disposed off from the left upper side ventilation by placing my fingers in front of it), I just keep hearing the Fan noise
continuously non stop which can become kind of annoying at times.

c)For once, it happened that when I shut down the laptop due to high temperature of 95 to 98 degree, and when I turn the laptop ON, it reaches the OS Boot Selection menu and than shutdowns
automatically. But this issue didn't repeat later.

d) Also, request you to kindly take a look at the below link for the screenshot of the CPU Temp being recorded at an extreme 101 degree for about few seconds before it came back down.

http://i46.tinypic.com/30az713.jpg

And when I touch the area near to the bottom air ventilation, I do feel it is hot. Not sure why, even though the internal Fan is rotating? However surprisingly, the left side ventilation area
disposing off air doesn't seem to be much hot.

e) Applications like Microsoft Word takes much time to open. Also, opening IE browser and the tabs takes much time to open then expected. Which means the system is running slowly.

And there is no sign of dust inside the laptop nor in the ventilation area as well. Everything is just clean.

So, what could be the issue exactly?

(I purchased this HP 530 Laptop in June, 2008).

The laptop is under the warranty, expires in December, 2010.

Kindly assist.....

Regards,
Apoorva.

Collapse -
Not your problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 11:19 PM PST

It is under warranty. Present the problem to them and let them fix it.

Collapse -
HP 530 heating issue
by engraq / October 22, 2010 2:38 AM PDT

I kinda have the same heating prob. Just one day the laptop really got hot and the fan started to spin faster and finally the pc would turn off. when its on and i restart, it simply shuts down, not comming back on because of the heat.

I opened it and checked the area @ the cpu, i changed the white paste, but didnt detect no fault. its true dat the area @ the fan does get real hot. im using a cooling pad to keep my laptop going, sinds i cant think of anything else to do.

Collapse -
Tell a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2010 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: HP 530 heating issue

If you pick over the above you read about the CPU load and how that affects heat production. Let me add that I'm finding folk mix and match anti this and that software creating TOXIC COMBINATIONS. Examples abound and I don't know them all like the Spybot and the antivirus issue. Zonealarm has some incidents too.

This model does get hot under CPU load. This is the design and sadly, unless we redesign the thing it will remain what it is.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.