Computer Help forum

General discussion

Hp 522n not booting up

Hello,
I have an Hp 522n running XP home, 1.8 gig,50g hard drive.
It ran fine for 8 months then developed some hanging problems on standby.
That turned into some very slow shut down problems over the course of a week or so, then it shut down and now won't reboot properly.
It would power up and the fan works, but it would not acknowledge either the keyboard (after a split second 1 time lights flash), nor the mouse. And naturally, not the C:\ drive to read the boot ini.
I manged to hit control\alt\delete at precicely the right moment one time and got it booted. It ran fine, restarted several times Ok, then upon shut down, would not reboot.
Next time I tried the cont\alt\delete trick it went into HP's great full system recovery, rolling it back to factory specs. But still no boot.
Contr\Alt\delete again and this time I even managed to get into the BIOS and changed the boot order to DVD-CDROM\A;|\C:\ so I can boot up from Norton's home made emergency boot dis now. Otherwise this computer is performing flawlessly.
Oh, one more thing...now although I could reinstall Norton's Anti Virus, it won't even touch the Norton Utility Disc to install those programs. (I am not sure but this may have something to do with the boot files being on that disc?)
Any answers or help to this boot up situation would sure be appreciated!
Thank you,
Trapper

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hp 522n not booting up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hp 522n not booting up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
8 months? Warranty.

In reply to: Hp 522n not booting up

Let them fix it. It's much cheaper to let HP fix it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: 8 months? Warranty.

In reply to: 8 months? Warranty.

I am no computer expert and have no problems with my HP but I get better help with my questions from the people on the HP forums compared to calling and talking to someone over seas that just can't understand me and my questings, that's just my experience with HP. Although CNET forums are great it seems that a lot of people with an HP don't know they have forums and they are really nice and helpful there. If you dont' have any luck when you call them then check here and read some posts about your model and see if you can find any info or register and post.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/james/bizsupport/searchForums.do?searchText=522n&searchCriteria=allwords&searchCategoryITRC=ALL&searchOptionBSC=true&searchCategoryBSC=Desktops+and+workstations%7Chome+PCs+-+pavilion&searchIn=entireThread&author=&threadType=0&datePosted=0&sortOption=score&resultsPerPage=25&x=44&y=6

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.