Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Desktops forum

General discussion

HP : "1GB max is test approved"; everyone else: disagrees

by captopril_46 / December 21, 2008 12:04 PM PST

Hi there CNET-ers,

My 3 yr old Presario SR1300NX needs a memory upgrade.
Here are it's specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00280656&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=443734

After buying the pc, I installed an additional 512Mb RAM to give it a boost. Now I run some apps that are memory intensive and wanna go beyond 1GB. The integrated videochip also sucks my RAM, so i'll soon upgrade to a video card. As you can see in the specs, the max allowed is 1GB of RAM (512Mb in each slot). After taking a look at HP's website, I went on crucial.com and ran a memory scan: the results surprised me. Apparently, my motherboard supports a maximum of 2GB of RAM. Here are the results:

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=0B25179E31D926C3

I went on many other websites including kingston, amazon etc. EVERY online vendor that sold my pc or sold memory modules for it said that SR1300NX Presario can handle a 2GB upgrade, 1GB in each slot. (you can verify this by googling PRESARIO SR1300NX) This discovery prompted me to call HP. As I was waiting on the phone, i discovered this page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00069442&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=443734

It proved that my motherboard could indeed hold upto 2Gigs of memory. The rep at HP told me something bazaar. He said that this motherboard CAN handle 2gigs, but HP recommends only upgrading to 1Gb. When asked why this was so, he said that 2GB of memory on this particular PC did not pass "all of HP's tests", whereas 1Gb configuration passed the tests. That's why HP doesn't advise it's customers to go beyond 1Gig.

When I asked the rep for his personal opinion, he said you "...could try your luck" by installing 1GB module in each slot, but because this configuration didn't pass HP's quality tests, this might affect performance.

I just wanted to ask you guys, do you agree with the rep? or virtually every other online memory/pc vendor who says 2GB RAM upgrade will only increase performance not degrade it. Has anyone else tried to install more RAM than their manufacture recommended, but was fully supported by their motherboards? I mean, it's not like I'm going beyond my motherboard's limits,right?

Please, I need your expert advice. I really wanna upgrade my memory to the max. Should I go for 2GB? Would upgrading to 2GB negatively affect my pc's performance, like heating it up or affecting it's components or something? Sorry you had to read sooo much text..lol. I really appreciate your time and valuable advice.

Thanks again,
Hassan.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP : "1GB max is test approved"; everyone else: disagrees
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP : "1GB max is test approved"; everyone else: disagrees
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is why...
by CascaLonginus / December 21, 2008 3:11 PM PST

This is why, among other reasons you should build your own computer, or go to a custom build shop, buy the components, and have them put it together. However this is not your question, I say, if you have the money, give the upgrade to 2 gigs a shot, if you have problems, and have to go back, you can sell the ram on craigslist. You wont get all your money out of it, but at least you will know your limits.

Did you ask exactly in what respect the 2 gig upgrade failed their test?
You might want to know that before you try the upgrade.

Collapse -
So you exceed the spec.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 9:30 PM PST

What are you asking? If it will work? Since you are never sure that yours is built exactly like the one that made it to 2GB then no one should tell you it will be OK.

But at today's prices, why not try it?

Collapse -
I just needed to know...
by captopril_46 / December 22, 2008 2:32 PM PST

...is there a down side to using 2GB of RAM on my pc, assuming the installation works out well and my machine DOES boot up. If I was back in the States, I wouldn't mind forking up a few bucks to get the memory which obviously by now is extremely cheap. But, this type of memory is still very expensive in Pakistan so I wanna make sure I know it's not gonna cause any problems before I take the plunge and burn a hole in my wallet.

I just want a performance upgrade..as long as it's SAFE.
Please advise. Any downside to going beyond what HP says, even though my motherboard supports the upgrade?

Thanks for the posts you guys,
Hassan.

Collapse -
Memory
by Phil Crase / December 22, 2008 11:00 PM PST

2GB should work but there is no reason to go beyond the 2GB limitation. If you install a Video card in the system you will recoup the ram shared by the system. The downside of installing a video card in THAT system is power draw, you may also need to install a more substantial power supply. Good luck!

Collapse -
Thanks for you advice you guys...
by captopril_46 / December 23, 2008 8:44 AM PST
In reply to: Memory

...I'll go ahead with the 2GB upgrade and post the results if there really are any problems. Apparently, the only thing that can go wrong is that either the system won't boot up, or it will just not recognize the additional RAM.

I will take Phil's advice on installing a dedicated video card to reclaim the memory being sucked out my RAM modules.

Thanks a great deal for all your help ppl,
Have yourselves a really happy holidays!

Hassan.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!