HP forum

Question

HP 15-af039ca notebook increase performance?

by shuswapbear / July 4, 2017 5:36 PM PDT

This is the notebook I have. The specs claim that the processor is 1.8ghz and up to 2.4ghz also it says can be up to 2048mb of video but I cannot find out anywhere on how to change these "setting"?????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP 15-af039ca notebook increase performance?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP 15-af039ca notebook increase performance?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Didn't find any indication this would help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2017 3:20 AM PDT

I read a few priors and this appears to be an AMD APU series A6 laptop.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04693311

To eek out the last drop of performance, be sure the memory sticks installed are matched. That is if you have 2GB RAM, be sure it's two 1GB sticks of same make and model. And so on for larger sticks.

Collapse -
Hmmmmm
by shuswapbear / July 5, 2017 4:11 AM PDT

I was thinking of putting more ram in either a single 8gb or maybe 16 (2×8gb) modules. But even after doing so I do not know if this will change the about of ram that can be used for video.

Collapse -
Re: hmm
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 5, 2017 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmmmm

"AMD Radeon R4 graphics with up to 2048MB total graphics memory" doesn't seem to me that it will go higher that 2048 MB. It sounds more like a limitation than like a setting.

And why do you think that you need more than 2 GB graphics memory to increase the performance of what you're doing with your laptop?

Collapse -
Video ram
by shuswapbear / July 5, 2017 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: hmm

Currently the vid ran is only using 1024mb. So what your saying is to get it to 2gb vid I would need to go to 8gb or maybe even 16gb of ram . And currently I have 6gb ram.

Collapse -
Re: video RAM
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 5, 2017 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Video ram

I didn't say that. I asked why you need 2 GB.

If the manual does say no more than "up to" and doesn't explain how to do it, and you can't find it on the HP site, it's a question for their customer service.

Collapse -
Vram
by shuswapbear / July 5, 2017 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: video RAM

Unfortunately it seems that if your warranty is up they don't to give any support. Thats why I posted here to try to get some insight as to how one mught be able to change it or could it be the same model had some options you could choose before purchase. But after the fact your stuck with what ya bought excluding changing ram and storage.

Collapse -
You need to tell what you are after here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2017 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Vram

If you are hoping to get the video section to perform better by changing this, the answer it won't help. As such I won't get into this as it's a dead end.

You can maximize what you have with matched/same size memory sticks but it is only an A6 so gaming will always be hit or miss.

Collapse -
Increase video RAM
by James Denison / July 5, 2017 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Video ram

Have you checked in the BIOS to see if you can assign how much RAM is shared to the video system? This is especially important with APU's, since they have video built into the CPU.

Collapse -
My brother has an AMD A6 based laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2017 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmmmm

I can offer insight as there is one in our family. The A6 does work better overall when the memory is installed in pairs. But you never told why you want to do this.

That aside, we had this laptop and wanted to eek out the last drop of performance so we put in the usual 2x8GB sticks and changed the HDD to SSD. Result? Very usable laptop but not anything a gamer would put up with.

Collapse -
Hdd vs ssd
by shuswapbear / July 5, 2017 6:36 AM PDT

By was you mean a solid state drive instead of the 750gb sata that's currently in there?

Collapse -
SSD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2017 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Hdd vs ssd

When in a computer discussion like this is a solid state drive.

Collapse -
Answer
Video ram
by Bob__B / July 5, 2017 11:18 AM PDT

If it's not in your bios and I suspect it won't be since oem's tend to hide that sort of stuff.

Then the best you can hope for is it's based on the amount of system ram or it's dynamic.

if you have 6GB of ram and you want better perf then you have the wrong ram.

Based on that apu you want 2x?GB @ 1866.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!