Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Howzit where you live.............

by Mac McMullen / November 5, 2007 12:58 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Howzit where you live.............
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Howzit where you live.............
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just off the top of my head...
by Angeline Booher / November 6, 2007 3:42 AM PST

My town is older because it is a "river" town,

Nashville was founded by James Robertson and a party of Wataugans in 1779, and was originally called Fort Nashborough, after the American Revolutionary War hero Francis Nash. Nashville quickly grew because of its prime location, accessibility as a river port, and its later status as a major railroad center. In 1806, Nashville was incorporated as a city and became the county seat of Davidson County, Tennessee. In 1843, the city was named the permanent capital of the state of Tennessee.

It was the advent of the Grand Ole Opry in 1925, combined with an already thriving publishing industry, that positioned it to become "Music City USA"

Since the 1970s, the city has experienced tremendous growth, particularly during the economic boom of the 1990s under the leadership of Mayor (now-Tennessee Governor) Phil Bredesen,
Today the city along the Cumberland River is a crossroads of American culture, and easily the fastest-growing part of the Upper South and the territory between Atlanta and Texas.

Nashville has a strong-mayor form of government. It is governed by a mayor, vice-mayor and 40-member Metropolitan Council.
Nashville is often labeled the "Athens of the South" due to the many colleges and universities in the city and metropolitan area.
Popular destinations include Fort Nashborough, a reconstruction of the original settlement; the Tennessee State Museum; and The Parthenon, a full-scale replica of the original Parthenon in Athens, Greece. The State Capitol is one of the oldest working state capitol buildings in the nation, while The Hermitage is one of the older presidential homes open to the public. The Nashville Zoo is one of the city's newer attractions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville,_Tennessee

Andrew Johnson was a Tennessean, as was James K. Polk.

I have been proud of the service they gave to our country while in Congress, Estes Kefauver and Howard Baker. (Can't forget Davy Crockett. Happy )

I would be amiss if I didn't include our "Batman Building"> Happy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BellSouth_Building_(Nashville)

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Wild and wonderful, West Virginia
by grimgraphix / November 6, 2007 5:10 AM PST
Morgantown WV was settled in the 1770's. It is tucked away in the Monongahela river valley. The Monongahela river travels up to Pittsburgh (originally Fort Duquesne and later Fort Pitt where it joins with the Allegheny river to become the Ohio.

Many people from the west coast and major metropolitan areas don't even know we are a state, most often asking if we are from "Western Virginia"... however it was being settled by some of the first explorers decades before the American Revolution. One of the first battles of the French and Indian war, was the battle for Fort Necessity, fought just across the border in the Laurel Highlands of PA, not many miles from Morgantown.

West Virginia and Kentucky was purchased from the Iroquois in the early 1770's by the British with the intention of the Virginia colony expanding it's borders. Unfortunately, it was not really the Iroquois' land to sell, since it was principally used by the Shawnee and Mingo indian tribes (and the Cherokee farther south). Lord Dunmore - who was an engineer of the purchase and bought much of the land himself - had intended on settling the lands, and was starting to petition the king of England to form the 14th American colony (to be called "Vandalia") soon before the revolution began. The conflict between the indians and the incoming settlers became known as Dunmore's War. The most noted battle was the Battle of Point Pleasant in 1774 after which the Shawnee chieftain Cornstalk was soon forced to surrender claims to WV and much of the Ohio country.

West Virginia always was disconnected from the mainstream settlements of Virginia by the terrain through the 18th and 19th centuries. The rugged mountains and deep forests never lent itself to the agricultural farming methods (and slavery) of the south, despite being on the south side of the Mason-Dixon line. Consequently, it chose to take the oppurtunity to break away from virginia and become its own state in 1863.

Morgantown is the birthplace of actors Don Knotts and David Selby.

It is a small city with a permanent population of an estimated 31,000, but West Virginia University enrollment adds another 28,000 students during the fall and spring semesters.

The city owes it's existence to the college. West Virginia University, founded in 1867, has a long and rich history as a land-grant university. The University was originally offered to the small city of Weston which is located more to the center of the state. Weston was given the choice of having the new agricultural institute built there... or the first mental hospital in the state. Weston chose the hospital, believing that the college would bring in an unsavory collection of people. They were probably right, since WVU has become known for it's party school image over the past 3 or 4 decades. However, Morgantown has also become know as a premier institute of higher learning... attracting several high tech industries and businesses to the area.

West Virginia University (not the University of West Virginia as many TV announcers will say) is the home of the WVU Mountaineer football program.

Morgantown is the fastest growing city in the state and is expected to become the most populous within the next 20 years.

I live about 10 miles outside of town. It is a rugged area and full of wild life. It is not uncommon for me to see black bear feasting on the fruits and berry bushes that ring my property.
Collapse -
My family lived in Westerly....
by Angeline Booher / November 6, 2007 7:10 AM PST

..... when my older sister was born. Years later she drove her 4 boys for a tour of the old homestead and town.

Westerly was no more. Not even an old foundation. Nada.

They lived in Beckley when I was born. I think it's still there. Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
(NT) Beckley is thriving...;-)
by grimgraphix / November 6, 2007 7:35 AM PST
Collapse -
Mount Airy, North Carolina
by Cindi Haynes / November 6, 2007 8:58 AM PST

1. Nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains.
2. Blue Ridge Parkway just a few miles away.
3. Home of the world's largest open-face granite quarry. Many of Mt. Airy's buildings are made of granite, and astronauts orbiting Earth can see the quarry.
4. Drive-in restaurants, at least 3, at least one of which still features girls on rollerskates.
5. Drive-In movie theatre, at least 2 new-release movies for $5/person.
6. Slower pace of life.
7. Friendly people!
8. Two major downtown festivals per year (Mayberry Days, Autumn Leaves).
9. Home of Andy Griffith. Mayberry was based on Mt. Airy.
10. Traditional Old Time and Bluegrass music jams weekly, just show up and play or listen.
11. Awesome weather.
12. Other famous folks from Mt. Airy: Tommy Jarrell, Eng and Chang Bunker (siamese twins), Donna Fargo.
13. Wineries abound.
14. Civil war history, enactments, etc. and home of J.E.B. Stuart within a few miles.
15. Home of Snappy Lunch and the World Famous Pork Chop Sandwich. (Have it "all the way"!)

Y'all come back now, ya hear? Happy

Cindi

Collapse -
You're not too far from Wilkesboro, are you?
by Steven Haninger / November 6, 2007 7:23 PM PST

Do you make it to any of the Doc Watson doins? I believe the big event is the Merlefest in the Spring. Merle, also a musician, was Doc's son who was killed in a freak tractor accident. Yep. These are the real McCoy country folks and not the new country pretty boys. Happy Anyway Doc puts on a this event annually in Merle's memory. Gotta be some good pickin' going on there.

Collapse -
We're about 45 miles from Wilkesboro
by Cindi Haynes / November 7, 2007 2:36 AM PST

I have actually only recently heard about the Doc Watson thang, but have not attended. I'll have to look into it and maybe experience that!

Old time and bluegrass were intriguing to me when I was young, but I didn't pursue it much. Seeing these guys with their fiddles and banjos now, I've really gained an appreciation and affection for it.

Cindi

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.