Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Howto: Add date/time

In a believable way.

Just so we know how a camcorder adds date/time it's done after the fact to the analog video since many want it off or on depending on their needs.

To add a corrected date time after the fact we only need a date time generator and a GENLOCK box.

Here's what the camcorder does internally:
1. Produces analog video and
2. Overlays it with date and time plus other info as set by the controls on the camcorder.

If we had the wrong date time in the camcorder when we recorded and we wanted to produce a tape with the right date time we can do that with.
1. The analog output from the camcorder.
2. A video source with the new date time.
http://www.decklink.com/downloads/manuals/decklinkwinmanual.pdf on about page 28 shows a commercially available SDI source.

This is very cheap to implement and along with now common off the shelf tools is much easier than it was prior to 2000 when we first did this frame by frame.
Bob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Howto: Add date/time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Howto: Add date/time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It seems to be a bit of a stretch to say that ALL camcorders

In reply to: Howto: Add date/time

operate in this fashion. It is not a bet that I would be willing to make.

Collapse -
Just so you know.

In reply to: It seems to be a bit of a stretch to say that ALL camcorders

I was a designer in a company where we made such things. One of the company products involved a video overlay box, school bus cameras and more. In one of the product lines we used camcorders and would modify them to our need. This is why I can share how these units worked.

You're right that the method is not exactly the same for all camcorders.

The method has remained the same for years for NTSC, PAL output so for those we can stick with how it was done from about the last few decades.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes, I know Bob.

In reply to: Just so you know.

You have been involved in the design of most modern technology.

As I said elsewhere, if the camera records the date-time with the video, it cannot be changed without detection. If it doesn't record it, then it can be changed. That's not a tough concept.

You are saying that NO CAMERA actually records the date-time with the video. I have learned not to make such universal claims about all cameras.

Collapse -
Called up a buddy and another way.

In reply to: Howto: Add date/time

When I asked him he told me to use 2 camcorders. Set the camcorder that will do the recoding to the date and time I want on the tape and then press play on the source and then record on the recording camcorder. Press stop on the recording unit first and repeat as needed to make the entire tape.

-> This and other trickery is why any decent lawyer will disassemble date and time stamps quickly.

Your best hope of avoiding the public dismemberment is to follow the concepts called "chain of custody evidence."
Hope this helps understand this area a bit better and supply examples of how to change the date and time both with more hardware and very little hardware.
Bob

Collapse -
Whatever that is supposed to accomplish.

In reply to: Called up a buddy and another way.

If no camera actually records the date-time information, then you cannot obtain such a camera. If one does, your proposal cannot change the image without detection.

You are now contradicting your own previous claim. Cameras can, and do, actually record date-time.

Collapse -
This method does what it does.

In reply to: Whatever that is supposed to accomplish.

It changes the date time on the tape but not the video.

Seems this area is far too hard to grasp here. Maybe someone is being combative and trying to take me down a ped. For that reason alone, this thread is now locked.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.