Speakeasy forum

General discussion

How'zitt your area

Pump price here has been $3.95 - $4.00 for a couple of weeks.
Today, almost everyplace - $3.68.

Wonder which politician will try to take credit and tell us how
he/she pulled it off.

You know that no government body was inclined to do much,
as the "windfall" of taxes and royalties was an unexpected
Christmas present.

My opinion - the fact that some in the US Congress were actually
"talking" about reining in the speculators was enough of a scare of
government regulation for the speculators to back off a bit.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How'zitt your area
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How'zitt your area
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You try and figure it out

In reply to: How'zitt your area

Collapse -
Not to hard...

In reply to: You try and figure it out

It's not too hard. The law forbids releasing oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve for the purpose of lowering prices. It does say that it can be released in an emergency. Pelosi took the stand that the price of gasoline was an emergency, and in her opinion qualified the price as one. That line of logic didn't fly.

Collapse -
RE: Not too hard

In reply to: Not to hard...

Collapse -
In the last week,

I have seen 1 station with 3.92 and the rest were still almost 4.25.

Collapse -
Speculator thought...

Remember way back when Johnny Carson made a joke about a toilet paper shortage in L.A.? There wasn't one, he made it up for the joke. But a lot of people believed him and started buying it up, resulting in a shortage and price rise. Those people were basically speculating about future purchases.
Recently, we had the rice stories and people started buying it up to the point that stores like Sam's Club started limiting the amount of purchases. That cooled off.
In both cases we had people speculating about a future shortage and panic buying. In both cases they noticed that the supply looked like it wouldn't be as limited, the price started going down and the speculation about the future lessened.

Collapse -
Speculators...

In reply to: Speculator thought...

another word for investors.

Boogeyman du jour.

Collapse -
I think of them...

In reply to: Speculators...

I think of them as gamblers. Nothing wrong with that, you places your bets, and you takes your chances. I play a bit myself, but play the regular market. Not as much risk as commodities.

Collapse -
Yup. It IS gambling

In reply to: I think of them...

My wife used to work on Wall Street for a brokerage firm. That's pretty much how they viewed it.

Collapse -
But most gambling affects

In reply to: I think of them...

only the gamblers and(maybe) their families...not the greater community. It seems that commodity speculation can make losers of all that don't join the game.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.