Question

how would you proceed with the upgrade needed?

i have an ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA X48 INTEL MOBO, 1 GB 4870 ATI GFX CARD, INTEL DUAL CORE E8500... my gfx card overheated and is not spotting black bleed through on bf2 lol due to dust build up....my fault I'm an idiot for letting it get that bad..

Anyways i want to upgrade my computer to play BF3! my mobo is socket 775 so if i upgrade my cpu to a quad its gonna cost me at least 300$ for a good one. all the new technology is coming out and some people say i should by a new mobo and cpu.. but the dilemma is i need a new gfx card now. and i know my current cpu will bottleneck the gfx card.I don't have a lot of money to spend but i was looking at the the new 6970's for around 350$.

how would you proceed if you were me? what would you get first second third? i have a 750 watt corsair power supply just encase you need to know.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: how would you proceed with the upgrade needed?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: how would you proceed with the upgrade needed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Gaming

Go with the best video card your wallet can handle.

If in the future you upgrade the cpu/mobo......move the card.

Watch the temps......your looking at serious watts/heat from that 6970.

- Collapse -
Answer
3D card for games.

If there is a lesson about gaming it's the 3D card is where the best bang for the buck is. About that damaged card. Did you figure out why it got over heated? Sometimes you find folk put the cover onto cases that can't get the heat out.
Bob

- Collapse -
user error

i had let the dust build up for months and it finally blocked all the fins and overheated. i pulled the card and dusted it out, it was pretty bad and you can see burn marks on the dust.

CNET Forums