Speakeasy forum

General discussion

How would this work?

by JP Bill / November 9, 2009 3:29 AM PST

Not very well?

Canadians could face eye scans at border

Washington is turning to the next item on its security agenda: eye scans.

Opponents, however, question the logic and expense of looking for terrorists leaving the country. The Washington Post, which reported the story yesterday, said the program would not operate "for now" at U.S. land borders.

Wouldn't everyone have to stop and prove where they were born? Then they scan Non-Americans?

Stop at Customs of the country you're leaving, then stop at Customs of the country you're entering.

I can see new Customs Buildings be constructed opposite(on the other side of the road) to existing Customs Buildings to check people leaving the country.

Since America is doing it, it only makes sense for Canada to reciprocate.

More lineups.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How would this work?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How would this work?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think they should...... but the fallacy
by Angeline Booher / November 9, 2009 4:00 AM PST
In reply to: How would this work?

.... reciprocate.

Canadians are as interested in the security of their country as those of us in US are.

However IMO, the fallacy is the length of the border we share. There could be some bent on terrorism who would enter via an "official" entry/exit point. But any of them could cross in either direction atmany places without detection.

I think optic scans are and would be great tools for certain applications.. But having that ability at official sites only offers a false sense of security.

Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I can see/understand checking people entering
by JP Bill / November 9, 2009 4:19 AM PST

But leaving...is another story.

Checking people that are leaving is practical for air/sea travel, but checking people traveling by land, I don't think it is practical.

Of course it would create jobs, and inconveniences.

Should be glad they're leaving.

There are drone plans flying the Canada/US border checking isolated areas for people sneaking across the border.

Collapse -
by Angeline Booher / November 9, 2009 4:31 AM PST

..... if either side of the border is on the lookout for a person/persons, has had them under surveillance, etc., and then loses contact, wouldn't it be helpful to know if they had left the country?

Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
(NT) what about contacts?
by James Denison / November 9, 2009 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: How would this work?
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?