The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How would people feel if Microsoft just brazenly stole...

... some other company's product name and slapped it on a competing product of their own?

There would be more cries of "Evil! Evil! Microsoft is Evil!"

What happens when a certain other company does it?

"Way to go Steve!" "Give it to 'em Steve!"

I'm just sayin'.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How would people feel if Microsoft just brazenly stole...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How would people feel if Microsoft just brazenly stole...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm going to invent a new gaming console

In reply to: How would people feel if Microsoft just brazenly stole...

Gonna call it the xRhombus 720.

Collapse -
It's kinda fanboy-ish...

But I couldn't help but feel the same thing about Sony making a move like this...

Collapse -
Probably right.....but.....

Its a US suit because they hold the US mark. But Apple holds the most of the trademarks overseas. They can just as easily countersue in Europe. They have to work something out.....and Cisco knew they had Apple over a barrel with the intro being this week.

Cisco is not going to want to buy Apple's marks overseas so they are just working out language and "partnerships". Cisco is just ramping up pressure.

Collapse -
Agreed

I totally agree with you.

It's sad, but true... Sad

Collapse -
Hmmm.

Actually the way I had seen it is that if anyone comes out with a tech gadget and sticks an i in front of it - iradio, itelevision, iphone - it will make consumers immediately think of Apple and the ipod. Which makes me think that anyone other than Apple naming something an iphone knew exactly what they were doing, trying to use buzz from other products to get theirs noticed. I'm not exactly feeling sorry for them - it was their choice to try and snag the name and it's been rumor'd to be an Apple upcoming product for some time.

Collapse -
so

In reply to: Hmmm.

That doesn't matter though. They owned the trademark much before the Apple iPhone rummer came out.

Collapse -
Cisco had it in 2000

In reply to: so

If I do my math correctly, that was before the iPod and even OS X. The iMac came out a year or so before Cisco got the name. However, that was still before the iCraze.

Collapse -
NOT FAIR.

You always hear about people getting sued by Apple, Inc. for 'stealing' the click-wheel or copying the shuffle or whatev. So why should apple just get to steal someone else's product just because they are a huge company. So Monopolistic.

Collapse -
(NT) correction: capitalistic :P

In reply to: NOT FAIR.

Collapse -
Worry about it when it is launched

Apple used the name everyone has been using for the Keynote. The FCC submission and launch have still to happen. Let's see the nems then. I am sure they will have sorted everything out with Cisco by then.

Collapse -
Okay, here's the deal

I'm complete and total Apple fanboy; however, I can realize when they do something wrong. Cisco and Apple had been in talks for some time to come to an agreement on usage of the term. They were apparently close to an agreement when Mad Dog made his speech. Since an agreement hadn't been reached, Cisco got mad and filed suit. Either Steve decided to be a bit of a jerk, or he thought that they were on good enough terms to go ahead and use the name. Steve might have been better off if he called it a code name or something along those lines, a la iTV.

-Ryan

Collapse -
No excuse. This is the perfect example of arrogance.

In reply to: Okay, here's the deal

It's impossible to disagree.

Collapse -
Actually it's not impossible

In reply to: No excuse. This is the perfect example of arrogance.

As more information is released it is becoming clear that Cisco acquired the patent through a purchase of a purchase, that they did NOT have a product with that name during the entire span of the 6 years that they owned the mark, then a few days before the grace period would end they submitted a document stating that they had a product named iPhone in the market (which was not true), then they waited 7 months (from May 2006 to December 2006) to rebrand an existing product with the iPhone name.

And the only reason that Cisco bothered to do this is because they want some money from Apple. They are willing to do the absolute least to make sure that they can collect a licensing fee for a name that they did not use for several years and don't seem to care about except when it comes to "owning" the name.

Talk about squatish!

Collapse -
uh-huh....

In reply to: Actually it's not impossible

The "i" branding is Apple all over it. It's just a money play, not actual truthful patenting on Cisco's part.

Collapse -
How about ...

In reply to: uh-huh....

Nobody gives a damn!???
I mean seriously, neither Apple NOR Cisco should have a patent on a name. A name is just a freaking name. If Jobs had any innovation thoughts instead of theft thoughts, he would just think of a new freaking name? Why would anyone be so stupid to pay millions to squatters anyway?. Just call the daggone thing someting else. How hard is it to call it the "iFone" or the "iCell" or the "phoneSX"??

Collapse -
definately squattish!

In reply to: Actually it's not impossible

im not saying its right, im just saying its legal <sigh>

Collapse -
...perhaps you should read...

Collapse -
So a lawyer had a different viewpoint.

In reply to: ...perhaps you should read...

Imagine that. Haven't you ever heard that when you're asking a lawyer for an opinion, she will ask you what you want the answer to be first?

Collapse -
You were simply premature...

In reply to: So a lawyer had a different viewpoint.

...in your initial outcry of 'Thief'.

The simple fact that it isn't a simple fact (of theft) should have precluded your initial accusation.

In other words, as its quite possible that Cisco doesn't even own the rights to 'iPhone', you shouldn't have started a thread calling Apple (and Steve Jobs) thieves. At least until some judge declares it a theft.

Collapse -
squatting

In reply to: You were simply premature...

Apple would not have had negotiating talks with Cisco if they were aware that Cisco lost the patent. Whether it was legal or not, it was certainly a brash move on Steve Job's part.

Perhaps Cisco is simply squatting but lets remember last year when Apple sent cease and desist letters to tightpod and profitpod. Both companies have tried to play on the i craze. I will let them work this one out.

Collapse -
Uhhhh

In reply to: You were simply premature...

The entire Apple corporation is based on the theft of the GUI interface from Xerox, so uhh yeah Steve Jobs is a thief.

Collapse -
(NT) ...he said, typing from his Xerox computer...

In reply to: Uhhhh

Collapse -
I don't see them as competing products

Cisco's iPhone is not the same as Apple's iPhone.
But still, it was a little premature of Apple to name its phone before they had the trademark.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.