Computer Help forum

General discussion

How to wipe a computer without unistall of OS?

by MarkNarwahlberg / February 1, 2011 10:41 AM PST

I've been having lot of issues with Windows 7 lately and I want to reformat it so I just start fresh but the Key I had for Windows 7 was just for 1 use. Is their anything equivalent to reformatting without having to uninstall windows 7? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to wipe a computer without unistall of OS?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to wipe a computer without unistall of OS?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / February 1, 2011 11:34 AM PST

No, and there is no such thing as a one time use key for Windows either. You are most likely mistaking one license, for one computer, for one use. The key itself is unlimited use, within the restrictions of the license.

Collapse -
Oh
by MarkNarwahlberg / February 1, 2011 12:02 PM PST
In reply to: No

Oh but the still doesn't mean I can reinstall windows 7?

Collapse -
Yes, you can ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 1, 2011 12:50 PM PST
In reply to: Oh

RE-INSTALL windows on the same computer using the same key that should be on your Certificate of Authenticity attached to the computer.

You cannot legally install windows on any other computer with that key UNLESS your Windows is a full install RETAIL version that does not live and die with the system.

Depending on the make and model of computer you may even have a recovery partition that allows you to return the computer to factory condition BUT you haven't told us anything about the computer.

Collapse -
computer
by MarkNarwahlberg / February 1, 2011 4:35 PM PST
In reply to: Yes, you can ...

I got the operating system through my school program. I have a HP DV7 laptop and I do have a recovery partition so I guess that would be the thing to do. How would I go about doing that? Thanks.

Collapse -
Find Your Current Product Key Using Magical Jellybean
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 1, 2011 11:30 PM PST
In reply to: computer

The product key given to you by the school, which resides in the computer registry, should be visible/obtainable by downloading and running the tool below. It's free.:

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I suspect...
by Willy / February 1, 2011 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: computer

Just guessing but you may have mistaken the "1 chance" to make recovery discs from the OEM installed on the system. Vendors like HP or whatever used on, provide the pgm. whicj allows a 1 time use. However, once the recovery discs are made can be used repeatly on the same system. I just can't recall any 1 time use of an OS install limit. As explained to you by other posters, the EULA allows re-installs if you have the recovery or orginal discs for same.

You need to check HP support website to see how, the recovery process is accesssed if one is found on the HD itself. It does vary from model to model or series. Likely F10 or F11 during boot-up and the menu should be explained. Again, to be certain, HP provides that info for your model#. Otherwise, if you already have access to recovery/OS install discs make sure the bios is set to boot from CD/DVD drive as 1st device and proceed.

If possible ask your school IT or any helpdesk if they provide such info.

Tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
How to wipe a computer without unistall of OS?
by jackie20111 / February 2, 2011 11:39 AM PST

Back up any files on the computer. Do this by copying the data files onto a flash drive or several CDs. Copy data files such as Word documents, but also save your emails and favorites somewhere else. These items are stored locally on your computer.

Restart the computer with a Windows installation CD in the drive. Wait for the Windows installation to start. If the install does not start, restart your computer again and choose the appropriate key to enter the BIOS. Go through the menus in the BIOS until you find the boot-order listing. Move the CD drive to the top of the boot-order list by using the keys cited on the BIOS screen to change the order. Exit and save changes in the BIOS by choosing the "Save and exit" menu choice. Restart the computer.

Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows. This will mostly include hitting keys to accept the license agreement and accepting other instructions. Do not worry, you will not be installing Windows. When the option of where to install Windows comes up, choose the hard drive you wish to wipe clean. There will be an option to format that drive. Choose the full-format option. After formatting, exit the installation without installing Windows. The hard drive will be wiped clean and no trace of the operating system will be left.

http://www.apex-computer-repair-london.com/information_5.html

Collapse -
CD
by MarkNarwahlberg / February 3, 2011 7:07 AM PST

I downloaded Windows 7 from the site my school used as an iso and then mounted it. Should I just use that CD?

Collapse -
(NT) If You've Got The Key, Then Yes, The CD Should Work
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 3, 2011 8:36 AM PST
In reply to: CD
Collapse -
Re: CD
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 3, 2011 5:39 PM PST
In reply to: CD

Windows 7 doesn't fit on a CD. But the iso burned to a DVD should work fine if you boot from it.

Kees

Collapse -
sorry
by MarkNarwahlberg / February 4, 2011 4:40 PM PST
In reply to: Re: CD

Ya I meant DVD sorry.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.