Peripherals forum

Question

How to Wake up Offline Brother MFC-J870DW Printer?

by Oopey / February 20, 2015 10:52 AM PST

I have a networked Brother MFC-J870DW printer that is connected to my network wirelessly and plugged directly into the wall (i.e., no surge protector or power strip, etc.) (it does have an ethernet jack as well, which I am not using).

I try to access the printer from a Windows 7 laptop (on network wirelessly) and a Windows 8 desktop (on network wired). However, the printer is almost always asleep/offline (according to both the Brother Status Monitor and when I try to print to/scan from the printer). Oddly, the printer tends to wake up when I bring the laptop within a foot or so of the it.

My router is a Verizon FIOS-supplied Actiontec MI424WR (Gen2, I think). When I log into it, under the "My Network" listing where all items on my network are listed, it shows the printer as "active" and for some reason as having an ethernet connection (other devices, such as my cell phone and laptop, are shown as having a wireless connection; our television set top boxes are shown as having a coax connection). When I then test the printer's connectivity via the router's "Check Connectivity" test, it shows:

Number of pings: 4
Packets 4/4 transmitted, 4/4 received, 0% loss
Round Trip Time: Minimum = 6 ms Maximum = 133 ms Average = 38 ms

The firmware for the printer is fully updated. I have tried removing the printer and then reinstalling it several times. I have also tried reinstalling it from both the provided CD/DVD as well as from having the computer just look online for drivers, etc.

The only other potentially different thing is that I have some Powerline networking in my house, and the Powerline adapter (in the same room as the printer) provides a wi-fi signal (which has the same SSID and password as our FIOS router). Devices are supposed to flow seemlessly between the "real" wifi and the "Powerline" wifi without me seeing anything happening.

Any idea how I can get the printer to wake up on command by just trying to print or scan? Even pressing a button on its face doesn't wake it up as far as the laptop and desktop are concerned - but pressing a button will allow it to fax or photocopy when I enter commands directly from the printer.

Any thoughts? I'm not sure there is a way to disable the printer's sleep function entirely (and I'd prefer not to, for green reasons). I just want it to wake up when it senses data coming from the laptop or desktop.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to Wake up Offline Brother MFC-J870DW Printer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to Wake up Offline Brother MFC-J870DW Printer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.