Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

How to Wake up Computer from Sleep Mode

by ttroutner / February 25, 2005 12:35 AM PST

Please help? I know it is very simple but I forgot how. I have Windows XP and a stupid Compaq keyboard with a sleep button that my daughter accidentally hit. I cannot figure out how to wake the computer up.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Depends
by Yew / February 25, 2005 2:45 AM PST

Some systems, hitting any key will do it. Some you hit the sleep button again. Some you hit the power button on the system. Others may have a special "wake up" button... And then, there are systems that can't be woken from sleep due to shoddy motherboards. HP/Compaq systems often fall into this category, so be prepared to pull the plug (literally) if all else fails.

Collapse -
Thanks.
by ttroutner / February 25, 2005 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: Depends

I will try that. And the very next thing I do will be to get a new keyboard that doesn't have the Sleep button. Thanks again.

Collapse -
FYI. You can set what happens (most of the time) by...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2005 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks.

Using the POWER control panel applet to not sleep on such a key. No need for a new keyboard.

Bob

Collapse -
how to wake computer up from sleep mode
by abner1669 / November 15, 2010 4:34 AM PST
In reply to: Depends

my boyfriend has an acer computer not sure how else to describe it but anyways he hit the sleep button on his keyboard and since then we cant figure out how to wake it up. its weird because we can get the tower to turn on but when we plug the monitor in the light on the monitor will turn green for a few seconds the turn off. we've tried turning it off and on, different monitor and even opened the tower up to see if something was unplugged but we cant seem to find the problem. We dont want to pull the plug because it has all his stuff on this computer. Can you help with this problem?

Collapse -
Re: wake up computer from sleep
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 15, 2010 4:39 AM PST

Usually, to come out of standby press a key or move the mouse of such. To come out of hibernate, use the power on key on the case.

If that doesn't work, disconnect from the power (and remove the battery if it's a laptop). That will reset everything so it will power up normally when you turn it on again. You won't lose any data except in documents that are open and not saved.

Kees

Collapse -
This worked on our computer
by onedigger / December 23, 2010 11:42 PM PST

I don't know if this works for those that have more than one monitor but this solved our problem.

Vista: Go to: Start - Settings - Control Panel - Personalization - Display Settings - (If it shows two or more monitors, click on the other(s) that are not the default monitor and 'un-check' the box stating "Extend the desktop onto this monitor". Hit apply; hit Ok and reboot the computer.)

XP: Right click on Desktop, choose Properties - Display Properties - Settings - (If it shows two or more monitors, click on the other(s) that are not the default monitor and 'un-check' the box stating "Extend the desktop onto this monitor". Hit apply; hit Ok and reboot the computer.)

This should solve not only the sleep problem but the cursor going off the desktop screen. I don't know why but it worked for us and we only have one monitor. For some reason the computer and graphics card think we have more than one monitor.

Hope this helps!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!