General discussion

How to Wake up Computer from Sleep Mode

Feb 25, 2005 12:35AM PST

Please help? I know it is very simple but I forgot how. I have Windows XP and a stupid Compaq keyboard with a sleep button that my daughter accidentally hit. I cannot figure out how to wake the computer up.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How to Wake up Computer from Sleep Mode
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to Wake up Computer from Sleep Mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Depends
Feb 25, 2005 2:45AM PST

Some systems, hitting any key will do it. Some you hit the sleep button again. Some you hit the power button on the system. Others may have a special "wake up" button... And then, there are systems that can't be woken from sleep due to shoddy motherboards. HP/Compaq systems often fall into this category, so be prepared to pull the plug (literally) if all else fails.

- Collapse -
Thanks.
Feb 25, 2005 2:53AM PST

I will try that. And the very next thing I do will be to get a new keyboard that doesn't have the Sleep button. Thanks again.

- Collapse -
FYI. You can set what happens (most of the time) by...
Feb 25, 2005 4:04AM PST

Using the POWER control panel applet to not sleep on such a key. No need for a new keyboard.

Bob

- Collapse -
how to wake computer up from sleep mode
Nov 15, 2010 4:34AM PST

my boyfriend has an acer computer not sure how else to describe it but anyways he hit the sleep button on his keyboard and since then we cant figure out how to wake it up. its weird because we can get the tower to turn on but when we plug the monitor in the light on the monitor will turn green for a few seconds the turn off. we've tried turning it off and on, different monitor and even opened the tower up to see if something was unplugged but we cant seem to find the problem. We dont want to pull the plug because it has all his stuff on this computer. Can you help with this problem?

- Collapse -
Re: wake up computer from sleep
Nov 15, 2010 4:39AM PST

Usually, to come out of standby press a key or move the mouse of such. To come out of hibernate, use the power on key on the case.

If that doesn't work, disconnect from the power (and remove the battery if it's a laptop). That will reset everything so it will power up normally when you turn it on again. You won't lose any data except in documents that are open and not saved.

Kees

- Collapse -
This worked on our computer
Dec 23, 2010 11:42PM PST

I don't know if this works for those that have more than one monitor but this solved our problem.

Vista: Go to: Start - Settings - Control Panel - Personalization - Display Settings - (If it shows two or more monitors, click on the other(s) that are not the default monitor and 'un-check' the box stating "Extend the desktop onto this monitor". Hit apply; hit Ok and reboot the computer.)

XP: Right click on Desktop, choose Properties - Display Properties - Settings - (If it shows two or more monitors, click on the other(s) that are not the default monitor and 'un-check' the box stating "Extend the desktop onto this monitor". Hit apply; hit Ok and reboot the computer.)

This should solve not only the sleep problem but the cursor going off the desktop screen. I don't know why but it worked for us and we only have one monitor. For some reason the computer and graphics card think we have more than one monitor.

Hope this helps!

CNET Forums

Forum Info