Samsung forum

Question

How to view internal storage in Samsung Galaxy Note 2?

I just bought a 16G Samsung Galaxy Note II, and upon viewing the storage capacity in the settings it shows:
Total space = 10.97G
Applications = 367MB
Pictures, Videos = 17.99MB
Audio = 20.00KB
Miscellaneous = 36.73MB
Available space = 10.36GB

SD Card
Total space = 3.63GB
Available space = 3.62GB

The SD card was bought as an extra.

If I'm reading this information correctly then there is 5.64GB of internal storage space unaccounted for.

Can someone tell me if the system is actually using this much space or has Samsung pulled a fast one?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to view internal storage in Samsung Galaxy Note 2?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to view internal storage in Samsung Galaxy Note 2?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
To really dig in I think you need to get to the command line

In reply to: How to view internal storage in Samsung Galaxy Note 2?

http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f12/android-command-line-514/ is one of thousands of discussions about this. I can't teach its use but from what I see on the dozen Android devices at the office (we are working on Android apps) there is space that the OS has that can cause your concern.

Also, you have about 7% in reporting difference from GB to billion bytes. I can't duplicate all the prior discussions but I've yet to see any "pulling a fast one" here.
Bob
Collapse -
The forum doesn't reference my question

In reply to: To really dig in I think you need to get to the command line

Thanks, but I don't see the relevance of the link you posted.
The programming language is beyond my basic understanding of reading what's directly in front of me.

Collapse -
Sorry about that.

In reply to: The forum doesn't reference my question

At this point you as a consumer need to call it in (1800SAMSUNG) and if they can't give you a good explanation then you do what most consumers do (return it.)

From my view I can dive in and look around with the tool I noted. But then again I've been programming for a long time.

-> I don't see any issue on any Samsung Android so far. I do see consumers that are looking for reasons why the numbers don't add up. But without diving into the system, and showing it's OK, how else to show the answer?

Wish I had a graphic to help out here.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.