Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to use Windows XP Recovery Console

by awjr32 / August 23, 2004 2:00 AM PDT

My computer recently crashed and has given me a windows\system32\config\system error during boot and will not allow me to start in safe mode or any other mode. I have loaded the XP PRO CD Rom to load the recovery console. When it boots from the CD and i get the option to install full version or type R for repair i hit R. The next screen appears and says enter the recovery console you would like to enter (edit) or hit enter to exit. I have no idea what to type at this point because there is no list of operating systems associated with a number (what do i type here?).
I have tried every number (because i am limited to one character) and the only one that does anything is number 1 when i hit 1 enter the machine goes to a blue error screeen and will not enter the recovery console.
Please help me get past this screen.
I have already viewed all of microsofts write ups but they do not indicate what to type once in the recovery module.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to use Windows XP Recovery Console
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to use Windows XP Recovery Console
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How to use Windows XP Recovery Console
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 2:06 AM PDT

The reason that MS doesn't write what to type at the recovery console is simple. What one does there depends on what damage was done to the OS or what effect you want.

There is no "fixmachine /all" command at the recovery console. We can run CHKDSK, stop services from running and more, but given what you've written I can't tell what the damage is.

Why? You didn't share the error message in a "quoted" format. And even then I may just see what google.com has to offer on that error message. Be sure to look at google groups too.

In closing, HISTORY about how you think your machine got to such a state is important. Some change motherboards and don't tell. Some run Kazaa.
Bob

Collapse -
by awjr32 / August 23, 2004 2:37 AM PDT

I apologize for not using proper syntax while asking the question. What I did about a week before the crash was added a new 120GB WD hard drive as a master slave to my 80 GB WD hard drive(which crashed). The computer is a 1.7GHZ ( intel)clone which i built two years ago.
Operating systems is windows XP Pro(original).
My question is simply at the prompt described i only have the option to type in one character. after i type this one character i shoudl get the password screen. I can not get to the passowrd screen because i do not kow what to type in this one character space. When i type a "1" enter i get the blue error screen. This is not the recovery console yet. Once i get to the reocvery console i am fine.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 2:59 AM PDT

In that case, don't boot from the hard disk, but from the XP CD. That way, the corrupt OS is not in play.

There is no "correct" posting method. I only ask that you put error messages in such so it's clear what is your writing and what is not.

Bob

Collapse -
by Edward ODaniel / August 23, 2004 7:48 AM PDT

Have you tried 0?

If you are not getting a choice a valid installation of XP is not getting found. (Or possibly a corrupted MBR)

Are you sure you have the drives jumpered properly?

Elsewhere you mention adding a drive and a crash and are not too clear on just which drive crashed--it could well be the one XP was installed on.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.