Computer Help forum

General discussion

How to use TWO hard drive in one PC?

by jaeanni / December 14, 2008 2:59 AM PST

I have a New Acer AX3200 with Vista Home Premium but I would like to connect my old hard drive which has XP Media Center and all my softwares installed with the Acer. Will there be any problems because the drives have two OS installed in them? Can someone PLEASE help me on a step to step process on how to go about with having my old drive installed in my new PC? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to use TWO hard drive in one PC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to use TWO hard drive in one PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: 2 hard drives in one PC.
by Kees Bakker / December 14, 2008 3:07 AM PST

Yes, you can have 2 hard drives in one PC.
Yes, you can have 2 different OS'es in one PC.

BUT:
- you can run only one OS at the same time (to switch: shut down and reboot)
- you can't use programs installed in OS 1 when using OS 2 (so you can't use your XP programs while using Vista and you can't use your Vista programs while using XP)

UNLESS:
You use Virtual PC. But that can be done on one hard disk just as well. And it needs a fresh install of the OS and all applications on that virtual machine. But than you can easily switch between the 2 OS'es.

So what you want is not possible. So no step-by-step.
Even a step-by-step on just installing the old drive and using it as storage isn't possible without knowing details like SATA and ATA of your machines.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: 2 hard drives in one PC.
by jaeanni / December 14, 2008 8:25 AM PST

I only want to run one OS which is the one on my new PC, but I want my old programs from my old hard drive. Can I run my old programs from my old hard drive when connecting that hard drive to my new PC without booting the OS on that hard drive??

Collapse -
Possibly, but unlikely
by Jimmy Greystone / December 14, 2008 9:26 AM PST

Possibly, but unlikely given the way about 99% of all Windows programs work. You will have to reinstall the apps on the new system. Of course there's no harm in giving it a try before you format the drive. You may get lucky, though I would be sure to fish out the installation media just in case.

Collapse -
Also
by Jimmy Greystone / December 14, 2008 3:49 AM PST

Also, you can't just slap a drive with an existing OS into a new system and expect it to work. Not only will it likely fail for a number of technical reasons, it is a violation of the Windows user license. Retail copies of XP Home and Pro can have their license transferred to a new system, but XP MCE was only sold OEM.

Collapse -
Just put it . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 14, 2008 10:05 PM PST

into an external USB2 case.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?