Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to use allocate ports with USB/Serial Adapter?

by GusGusGus / February 10, 2004 7:18 PM PST

My computer doesn't have a serial port, to which I wanted to hook up a (serial) Tekram IrMate 210. I got hold of an adapter (Keyspan USA-19QW) but can't get them to play together. When I allocate the ports for the Tekram, should I be setting this to the same port as the Keyspan (so, in theory, it "passes through") or should these be allocated to different ports?

Thanks for any help!

Gus

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to use allocate ports with USB/Serial Adapter?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to use allocate ports with USB/Serial Adapter?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:How to use allocate ports with USB/Serial Adapter?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2004 9:03 PM PST

I read your post twice and still can't see your issue.

Some havr had problems with the device you noted, but most found it to work after hunting down updated drivers or just replacing it.

1. What's to say the unit works at all?

2. What device are you trying to talk to?

Some don't know to enable IR communications in the Palm units.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:How to use allocate ports with USB/Serial Adapter?
by GusGusGus / February 14, 2004 3:24 AM PST

The device I'm using is a glucometer (Accu-Chek Active) which infrared links to a PC. This uses software which asks you to assign to a port (comms 1-4), but even if I use a USB/Irda adapter I run into a problem, as I can't allocate the USB to a particular port. Also, am using the latest drivers available.

Any ideas on how to make this all work?

Thanks,
Gus

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:How to use allocate ports with USB/Serial Adapter?
by JenDScot / February 15, 2004 7:28 AM PST

Usb ports usually work in acending order as well as provide faster data transfer, which the usual addressing of those ports are usb 001, usb 002, depending of course of how many ports you have available or have added. I run 9 usb 2.0 ports, 4 onboard, and 5 via PCI card and have no issues in a multiboot system with 98SE, W2K pro (SP3), and XP Pro (SP1). Crossaddressing with serial and parallel devices take a bit of work to configure.

Collapse -
Is there a way to set USB/Port manually?
by GusGusGus / February 15, 2004 7:36 AM PST

So - is there a way that I can tell the machine to allocate the port to the USB irda adapter manually, so that when I set the software to a given port (which allows allocation to any of ports 1,2,3 or 4) it is set to the same port? Is there a webpage that steps through how to do this? (have tried googling for this, but haven't had any luck).

Thanks,
Gus

Collapse -
Is there a way to set USB/Port manually?
by GusGusGus / February 15, 2004 3:57 PM PST

So - is there a way that I can tell the machine to allocate the port to the USB irda adapter manually, so that when I set the software to a given port (which allows allocation to any of ports 1,2,3 or 4) it is set to the same port? Is there a webpage that steps through how to do this? (have tried googling for this, but haven't had any luck).

Thanks,
Gus

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.