TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

HOW TO UPDATE FIRMWARE PANASONIC VIERA PLASMA

by CoolPontiac / January 26, 2015 4:16 AM PST

HI
I HAVE A TCP50G15 Panasonic PLasma.
im following the instructions on their website ot update the firmware but the TV DOES NOT respond.

I used a 32G sdcard, formatted it in my mac for fat16 dos
i copied over the single .sec file from panasonic
I turned on tv
installed the card
pressed ok on remote

Nothing happens

help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HOW TO UPDATE FIRMWARE PANASONIC VIERA PLASMA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HOW TO UPDATE FIRMWARE PANASONIC VIERA PLASMA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'd try a much smaller SD CARD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2015 4:22 AM PST

I read the install notes but many sets don't understand big cards.

The .sec file looks to be 15.8MB so any 2GB or smaller card will do fine.
Bob

Collapse -
is fat16 doc format done on mac ok?
by CoolPontiac / January 27, 2015 1:04 AM PST

ok . i will try a smaller card.
is it ok that i formatted the card on a mac... i am using the fat16 dos format.. which i think is universal?

also - all im doing is turning on the tv and then inserting the sdcard and waiting for some message on the screen (which never comes). is there any keys i have to hit to force the tv to read the card.

thx

Collapse -
Iffy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2015 1:09 AM PST

Believe it or not, some file system code was done by reverse engineering but that's a deep topic.

Try all formats next time but that's a pretty big card and I've run into times that devices can't handle it.
Yes, 32GB cards have been out for a few years but devices are usually behind the times.
Bob

Collapse -
Still Cant Update Firmware
by CoolPontiac / January 27, 2015 3:13 AM PST
In reply to: Iffy.

i tried a 256MB card.
I erased it on mac in os x
i selected MS DOS (FAT)
I copied the single firmware update file to the sdcard
inserted it in the TV and no response at all

any suggestions anyone ?

Collapse -
I'm sorry I forgot a basic question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2015 3:23 AM PST

If the TV is already updated it should fail to update. Now we can broach the subject of it should have coughed up a message "up to date" or more but I find this area to be fraught with barely good enough programming.

Did you check what firmware revision the TV is at?

There's another issue too. These updates sometimes fail to offer much. That is, I rarely update since it can cause issues. Samsung has has real issues with, well, that's on the web. Why do this?

One last thing. Factory reset the TV to blow off any apps and clear memory before the update.
Bob

Collapse -
firmware not updating
by CoolPontiac / January 27, 2015 6:26 AM PST

i really dont think the tv is smart enough to give no message if the firmware on the sd card is already installed in the tv. i think these user interfaces are pretty basic and if working right... it would let you reflash the firmware even if the version on the sdcard was the same.

i did reset the tv to factor settings when i installed it (i.e. im the second owner) recently.

i was going to reformat the sdcard on a pc instead of my mac.. but now im thinking that since the tv can show photos from an sdcard from my mac then this is not the problem

oh well...

Collapse -
I can't write about Pans.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2015 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: firmware not updating

The Sams will not update if the firmware is up to date. The messages are not always given and may cough up programmer geek code messages.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?