General discussion

How to uninstall Norton Antivirus?

I see that Norton AV has created several shortcuts all over my PC. There is a Symantec live update on my control panels, a Norton WMI update on Add/Remove programs and who know what else.... Should i use the uninstall icon on my Start/programs/? Or under the Add/Remove programs, where I will need to delete three Norton installed programs. Do you guys know if i cancel my membership early with Norton, do i get a partial refund?

Another question is with ZONE Alarm firewall. I got the new update saved in my desktop and it tells me that is going to install ZA. Now should i remove my previous ZA or will it update it automatically? Looks to me like is going to install a separate ZA, similarly like Ad-Aware does.......So should i uninstall the older ver. of ZA??

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How to uninstall Norton Antivirus?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to uninstall Norton Antivirus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
How to uninstall Norton Antivirus?

1.) Why do you want to uninstall it? Those shortcuts are for needed programs. Use them or not, they are also in the Norton folder in your Start, Programs listing. Refund? Not hardly. How do they know you're not still using it? Hopefully you're not going to try any of the free AV programs. They let problems in, especially in email. Fact.

2.) Installing ZA will automatically uninstall the older version. Uninstall the old version if you like first.

Good luck,

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about internet
connections and data, and download free software.

Suppose you were an idiot. . . And suppose you were a member of Congress. . . But I repeat myself.
--Mark Twain

- Collapse -
I plan on using

I plan on using a free AV...Going with AVG and hear great stories. Why do you say so? Most people dont like norton av. I havent try other AV so i can't judge yet...

- Collapse -
I have. . .

I've documented many instances, and listed them in the Virus and Security Forum.

Fact.

I thought as you, why pay for it? I uninstalled NSW 2003 and installed the free AVG. I then procedded to run the email tests from here http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/testfiles/

AVG let in 14 of the 16 test emails.

I then ran tests from here http://www.grc.com/default.htm

AVG failed miserably.

I then reinstalled NSW 2003 and reran the tests. NAV blocked all emails, or alerted me to the presence of virus-like activity. GRC couldn't even find my computer.

I'm now running NSW 2005 on my two XP machines, and 2003 on my W98SE IBM web server as my subscription is still current. When it ends I'll install 2005.

Do as you wish. If you're going to use the free version, please visit my site below for free software for protection. Scroll down to the Spyware Suite link.

Good luck,

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about internet
connections and data, and download free software.

Suppose you were an idiot. . . And suppose you were a member of Congress. . . But I repeat myself.
--Mark Twain

- Collapse -
Ooops, the email test link has changed. . .
- Collapse -
Pyro, Here's How...

It's best to start with the "Add/Remove Programs uninstall..You will NOT get a refund if you uninstall before the subscription expires. Unfortunately, you didn't give us the version numbers for your Norton or ZoneAlarm, but the information below should help.

How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2002/2003
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/8d071816eedd7cac88256c0e005a96e5/81a95b2ad449860288256bd400800b13?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

How To Completely Remove Norton AntiVirus 2004 And Then Reinstall The Program
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e006aaa94/9f87b423fda7cebe88256d97007bcdd0?OpenDocument&prod=&ver=&src=sg&pcode=&svy=&csm=no

In regards to reinstalling an updated ZoneAlarm, I normally uninstall the previous version just to make sure that it's a "clean" installation. Still, uninstalling the previous version IS NOT required for updates that are of the same general numerical version, such as from 5.0 to 5.5, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Norton v AVG

Pyro

I would think twice about getting rid of Norton. I had the free AVG6 on with no problems but when I had to download AVG7 - then they began and I was having problems with emails. Several of my friends experienced this too. I have now gone back to Norton and so far so good.

Liz

CNET Forums

Forum Info