Audio & Video Software forum

Question

How to turn on GPU/HW Assist for YouTube on Chrome?

I have turned on the GUP/HW assist functions on Chrome browser already. It seems to work with Netflix video. However, the YouTube video seems to bypass the HW assist. Can someone point out how to fix that?

I have a 55Mbps Internet access. On Netflix video, it plays smoothly. The CPU loading is about 50% and the GPU loading is about 45%. So it seems fine.

On the other hand, YouTube video would freeze momentarily from time to time. The CPU loading is near 99% most of the time and the GPU loading is at 0% most of the time.

So I am wondering if there is a setting on YouTube that needs to turn on HW assist?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to turn on GPU/HW Assist for YouTube on Chrome?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to turn on GPU/HW Assist for YouTube on Chrome?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Why?

In reply to: How to turn on GPU/HW Assist for YouTube on Chrome?

Collapse -
My Chrome video acceleration works on Netflix video....

In reply to: Why?

I am not sure if I follow you. I went to "chrome://flags" and enabled a few flags on video acceleration. It works on Netflix video. Somehow it does not work on YouTube video.

I am running Windows Vista as a reference.

Collapse -
Google has some discussions on that.

In reply to: My Chrome video acceleration works on Netflix video....

I can't be sure why it's not working but you can read in the Google forums about why they don't enable it or the changes over time. If I write how here, it can change in the next build.

My advice is to get into a Google Chrome forum.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I have to guess you need to know when the hardware assist

Just to be clear, the hardware assist only kicks in when the video is encoded in ways that the hardware decoder can help. So it's proper for it to not always work. I have to guess how much you know about that.
Bob

Collapse -
I try FireFox and it works great

In reply to: I have to guess you need to know when the hardware assist

So apparently my GPU can offload YouTube video processing.

Collapse -
Now how to get Google to code it up?

In reply to: I try FireFox and it works great

Remember we are covering topics already open over on the Google forums. Firefox coders seem to push the envelope at times. Google tends to be a little more reserved.

Collapse -
Ok. I posted my issue on Google's Chrome forum

In reply to: Now how to get Google to code it up?

Hopefully someone would comment on it. I have the latest version (V35) of chrome and it seems to do a good job on offloading Netflix video acceleration to the GPU card. I get about 45% of load level on the GPU playing Netflix on Chrome. If I play the same Netflix video on Firefox, the GPU only gets 10% load. So apparently, Chrome is more aggressive in offloading video to GPU than Firefox.

Collapse -
Which only proves

In reply to: Ok. I posted my issue on Google's Chrome forum

That it's the whole enchilada that matters. Encoding, add-ins, web site design, etc. If it was a setting you would have found it and been done.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Have you tried the Youtube HTML5 rendering instead?

Collapse -
It does that already

In reply to: Have you tried the Youtube HTML5 rendering instead?

I right click the YouTube video and it shows HTML5 there. So I assume that it is playing HTML5 already.

Collapse -
Answer
Use h264ify chrome extension

The VP8 video codec that youtube uses is not hardware accelerated yet. H.264 codec is hence install chrome h264ify chrome extension to force youtube to use H.264 codec.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.