TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

How to Transfer my Videos from my Mini DV tapes to my PC

by Webdeviii / November 19, 2013 7:51 PM PST

I may have just made a big boo boo, I was looking for a camera just for doing video tutorials where I take a video of the PC Screen of the software I am doing the tutorial on. and Narrate the audio via microphone as I go. I now found out that the Canon CamCorder I just purchased uses Mini DV Tapes. all I want to be able to do is transfer the Data from the Mini DV tape to the PC hard Drive then edit and re-process it into true DVD format for publication to my customers on DVD Discs, Now here is the next problem I have discovered, the camera only uses FireWire interface, and as we all know PC's running Windows Vista and forward do not support FireWire, I however have a Mac that I am very proficient on. Any Ideas on how I can do this would be very appreciative. Thank You very much to all that assist

Regards
Dev

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to Transfer my Videos from my Mini DV tapes to my PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to Transfer my Videos from my Mini DV tapes to my PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Which camera model?
by Pepe7 / November 20, 2013 12:18 AM PST

That will probably give an idea of which software drivers (if any) need to be installed on a PC or Mac in order to transfer over/import the raw footage. It can certainly be a slightly easier ordeal on a Mac, at least that's my experience ;).

You could also post this in the camcorders sub-forum. Some very helpful experts lurk there with a heck of a lot of experience.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That's a bold statement.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2013 11:46 PM PST

I have a Dell, pretty new and it came with firewire and Windows 7. I can't guess why anyone would make such a statement.

The transfer is done on firewire so what do you have with that?
Bob

Collapse -
Firewire and Windows
by Webdeviii / November 20, 2013 2:53 AM PST

Since Windows XP firewire has not been compatible period. It will see the port but nothing plugged into it ie: a camcorder or what ever the device may be. That is the purpose of the original question

Sorry if I insulted someones intellegence

Dev

Collapse -
XP and even before that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2013 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: Firewire and Windows

I would capture with Firewire. I was not insulted at all but found that such a claim may be untrue. However if you have a client that believes such things you give them a lot of bills as you rack up the hours supporting them. Sometimes they pay to learn. Sometimes they pay to have folk agree with them!

You didn't answer my question so I can't move forward. But I will share I used WinDV from XP, Vista and Windows 7 even when http://windv.mourek.cz/ only noted XP, it still ran fine last year on Windows 7.

Did you want to discuss this or posture and bicker?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.